Custom Tank builders - who’s everyone using?

Totally agree @JoshH.

Well at Glass Cages we put our tanks through rigorous testing. Today we tested the strength of a 3/4" thick glass 36 x 36 x 36 tank. We threw the following objects at the tank; 2 different cell phones, marker, toilet paper, lighter, shoe, wood plank, water bottle, full soda, fudge round, apple, umbrella, tv remote and a bowling ball. Well the bowling ball was the only object to not only scratch the tank but break the tank with a nicely circular hole. Radical times here at Glass Cages.
IMG_0929.jpg

That makes me sad.
 
I know you said glass. Glass cages and Planet aquariums (Formerly oceanic aquarums) Planet like oceanic Overbuilds their tanks which are built to last.
For acrylic- Reef Savy and believe it or nor Acrylic Tank Manufacturing.
I didn’t know reef savvy still makes acrylic tanks. I thought they switched over to glass only...
 
I didn’t know reef savvy still makes acrylic tanks. I thought they switched over to glass only...
That is possible. Long time since I had a custom tank. Last was my drop off tank which was artfully acrylic who does not make tanks any longer
 
Custom Aquariums. The tank was in production before I got emails from other builders I contacted.
Lifetime warranty when on their stand. This is an all wood stand. They also have steel and both.
Metal framing on the tank
IMG_2476_heic-L.jpg

I also rented their moving kit to get it in the house.

This stand has 4 doors in the front. A solid top and bottom and smallish oval openings on the back. There is nothing wet under my tank so this didn't matter to me. Everything is in an adjacent fish room.

They have a nice online configurator where you can cost out a tank with upgrades.
https://www.customaquariums.com/configurator/
That's gorgeous. Very nice build @WVNed
 
I know you said glass. Glass cages and Planet aquariums (Formerly oceanic aquarums) Planet like oceanic Overbuilds their tanks which are built to last.
For acrylic- Reef Savy and believe it or nor Acrylic Tank Manufacturing.
Thanks so much for the mention of Glass Cages @vetteguy53081. we make Acrylics as well. Take care!
IMG_1025.png
IMG_8828 3.PNG
 
Last edited:
What makes a custom tank good? What should newbies look for?

A solid job and a lot of cash in the bank. LoL.
On a serious note I think any Aquarium builder who does custom tanks will be ok.

Personally I would start with the closest shop to my home.
Why
#1 They will deliver and set up. (Possibly)
#2 less time in a freight handlers hands the better, Its not their job to care, its to get it to the final location.
#3 if there is a problem they can come see for themselves.

So that's what I would look for.
 
I researched all the aforementioned companies and ended up going witch Crystal Dynamics. Highly satisfied with their communication. Now to get around to setting up the tank
 
Mostly build quality over all,
Are all the panes of glass square?
Silicone nice and even with very little to no bubbles in it?
Silicone is applied clean and tightly on inside edges of glass
Are all edges of the glass polished smooth and clean?
Any holes are drilled neatly with little to no breakout on the edges
Return and overflow holes are drilled to spec?
If internal overflow, is it siliconed properly to the tank?
Is it made to the right specs and located properly?
Any additional bracing/corner reinforcement is applied cleanly

Also not directly related to the tank itself but...
Customer service
Communication turnaround time
And above all, How a company deals with issues

Are all other things to look into when considering a builder for your tank


You’ll get all of the above and MORE from Glass Cages. Call Joe, he will take care of you. I will say that there are some older negative reviews floating around regarding Glass Cages, but, Joe has been very up-front about them and the changes he made when he took over the company. The past issues are just that..... in the past. Give them a chance. I’m sure glad I did! My custom 170 was perfect!


Jeff
 
I submitted a quote request yesterday to Glass Cages and received it back first thing today...and a follow-up phone call to see if I had any questions.
I asked for a 180 (72x24x25) peninsula style with low-iron on the two long sides and a coast-to-coast overflow with holes drilled on one of the short sides. They came in at $1600, which I think is a really great price. Now, add an additional $400 to ship, and that's the part that sucks. It costs a 1/4 of the price of the tank for shipping. And no, I don't blame Glass Cages...they have no control on the shipping. I thought of flying out there and renting a U-Haul and drive it back, but that would cost over $400.
 
I submitted a quote request yesterday to Glass Cages and received it back first thing today...and a follow-up phone call to see if I had any questions.
I asked for a 180 (72x24x25) peninsula style with low-iron on the two long sides and a coast-to-coast overflow with holes drilled on one of the short sides. They came in at $1600, which I think is a really great price. Now, add an additional $400 to ship, and that's the part that sucks. It costs a 1/4 of the price of the tank for shipping. And no, I don't blame Glass Cages...they have no control on the shipping. I thought of flying out there and renting a U-Haul and drive it back, but that would cost over $400.
Shipping costs do suck. I got quotes from SCA (who technically said “free shipping”), GC came in about $100 cheaper (including shipping cost).

I really like that they (GlassCages) build tanks to order (nothing sitting around warehouses, overstocks, waiting for 3rd party vendor / distributor, etc).

I will say added shipping cost to residence vs hub was not great, but still cheaper than picking up myself from local hub (rental costs, etc). Also tough decisions. Good luck!
 
About to take delivery of a 280g from Miracles, they’ve been fantastic to work with and wait time was reasonable.
I’ve also had a Reef Savvy 225g, it was a great tank but your going to wait a long time for one.

BCCD26BB-557E-41AA-B413-46CB8F2393F8.jpeg
3651C5D6-966B-4981-959F-5DD39B7C7D3E.jpeg
2A119CEF-B6D7-4411-AC79-60E4C382AFCF.jpeg
What are the dimensions? I'm looking to build a 72x36x24 . Looking around and getting quotes right now.
 
Just took delivery of a custom 210 from Miracles & love the build so far
668596DC-252A-493D-BA37-7578DA7188B9.jpeg
161B6C42-850D-421F-BB13-38DE354FEAFA.jpeg

Nice,

I want to see the nice lady in the white dress with the hairy leggs in the picture though. Lol lol JK.
 
I submitted a quote request yesterday to Glass Cages and received it back first thing today...and a follow-up phone call to see if I had any questions.
I asked for a 180 (72x24x25) peninsula style with low-iron on the two long sides and a coast-to-coast overflow with holes drilled on one of the short sides. They came in at $1600, which I think is a really great price. Now, add an additional $400 to ship, and that's the part that sucks. It costs a 1/4 of the price of the tank for shipping. And no, I don't blame Glass Cages...they have no control on the shipping. I thought of flying out there and renting a U-Haul and drive it back, but that would cost over $400.
Come on down @T-J......

We would love to host your visit. Bring a fishing pole and hang out on the property for a while. Get a tour of the studio. We love doing what we do!
 
Come on down @T-J......

We would love to host your visit. Bring a fishing pole and hang out on the property for a while. Get a tour of the studio. We love doing what we do!
Whats up Joe! I am from Tennessee and got to visit the shop around 2018-2019. Idk if you had taken over yet but I enjoyed my time there. Currently stationed in Okinawa but when I get back to the states I'll definitely be reaching out for my dream build.
 
Whats up Joe! I am from Tennessee and got to visit the shop around 2018-2019. Idk if you had taken over yet but I enjoyed my time there. Currently stationed in Okinawa but when I get back to the states I'll definitely be reaching out for my dream build.
Okinawa!!! We lived at Kadena in the late 70's/early 80's. loved it there. Thank you for your service!!!!

we bought the company in 10/2019. we are here to support you and everyone all the time when the time is right!

Happy New Year!
 
Okinawa!!! We lived at Kadena in the late 70's/early 80's. loved it there. Thank you for your service!!!!

we bought the company in 10/2019. we are here to support you and everyone all the time when the time is right!

Happy New Year!
Kadena is where I am. Thats awesome. Happy new year hope its your best one yet!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top