Cute tiny guy building a home out of sand!!!

Maebh

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2023
Messages
241
Reaction score
180
Location
Ireland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes so cute, stripy, tiny (mabye 2mm), and is picking up big pieces of sand for his home! What is he? I'm thinking a shrimp of some kind?

 
Hes so cute, stripy, tiny (mabye 2mm), and is picking up big pieces of sand for his home! What is he? I'm thinking a shrimp of some kind?

It might be a baby mantis. I'd keep an eye on it.
 
It might be a baby mantis. I'd keep an eye on it.
Oh my gosh!! I love mantis shrimps and really wanted to get one but was nevous. If it is, It has the entire tank to itself!
 
Oh my gosh!! I love mantis shrimps and really wanted to get one but was nevous. If it is, It has the entire tank to itself!
You need to wait until it grows in order to make a proper species ID. Depending on which flavor of mantis it is, it may outgrow the tank. Like I said: keep an eye on it.

**edit**
Egregious typos corrected :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
 
Last edited:
You need to wait until it grows in order to male a proper species ID. Depending on which flavor of mantisnit is, it.may outgrow the tank. Like I said: keep an eye on it.
Yeah, I dont think many realize how big some can get. :grinning-squinting-face:
 
went full on hacker mode. heres a slowed down vid and screenshots! Im desperate to know if its a mantis :grinning-face-with-sweat:
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234413.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234428.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234435.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-05 234454.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 92
  • Untitled video.mp4
    4.8 MB
went full on hacker mode. heres a slowed down vid and screenshots! Im desperate to know if its a mantis :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Can you post these as embedded youtube videos, please. Many of us here will not click on random links or download videos for security reasons.
 
Can you post these as embedded youtube videos, please. Many of us here will not click on random links or download videos for security reasons.
Oh, that makes sense! Ill try figure out how, but honestly I just slowed down the vid for fun, you can just kinda see its movements are pretty calculated and jerky.
 
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does that work? Thanks again, I'll have to post my vids embedded now
 
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Does that work? Thanks again, I'll have to post my vids embedded now
It is hard to tell for sure, but I still think, yes- likely a tiny mantis. There are some species that stay that small, and there are some that will top 15". Hard to tell which one yours is until (or if) it grows. Definitely keep us posted.
 
It is hard to tell for sure, but I still think, yes- likely a tiny mantis. There are some species that stay that small, and there are some that will top 15". Hard to tell which one yours is until (or if) it grows. Definitely keep us posted.
I will, thanks! Its an empty tank, other than a huge nassarius, cause ive been putting of getting anything. I kinda had my heart set on a mantis but didnt want to pull the trigger. I hope it all works out!
 
I will, thanks! Its an empty tank, other than a huge nassarius, cause ive been putting of getting anything. I kinda had my heart set on a mantis but didnt want to pull the trigger. I hope it all works out!
Goven its size, I would add a bunch of amphipods to make sure it has a food source.
 
Goven its size, I would add a bunch of amphipods to make sure it has a food source.
Thank you!! The rock he came in on is crawling with stuff, but ill have to get some more!
 
You got a little amphipod! I have that particular species all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
 
Last edited:
Not the best quality video, it’s pretty grainy, but I don’t think it looks like a mantis from
What I saw.

I recently got 3 in my liverock order, they move differently.

Do you hear snapping/popping from the tank?
 
You got a little amphipod! I have those all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
Yea I’m gonna second that I think it’s an amphipod.

The motion of it is too jerky for a mantis but moves exactly like amphipods
 
Not the best quality video, it’s pretty grainy, but I don’t think it looks like a mantis from
What I saw.

I recently got 3 in my liverock order, they move differently.

Do you hear snapping/popping from the tank?
Ive heard one or two tiny cracking noises but it could be a placebo
You got a little amphipod! I have that particular species all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
Ahh well, its cute so even if its not a mantis im still happy!
 
You got a little amphipod! I have that particular species all over my tank, they construct small burrows out of sand and will pull pieces of food floating by into their burrows. The black markings on its back is a good way to ID, this particular species has black blotches on its back and a white patch as well. Unfortunately not a mantis shrimp, good part of the microfauna though, as they don't get any bigger than that
Good call.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top