Cyano and Bubble Explosion - Where to start, chemical or mechanical?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2020
Messages
3,936
Reaction score
14,842
Location
Punta Gorda
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sleeper goby, Chernobyl collapsed my entire aquascape two - three weeks ago. I let it be because I figured my fish were freaked out enough. (I also discovered an intermittent electrical charge had been in my tank due to a wire in my protein skimmer pump.) So, I went a week without my protein skimmer. I've been dosing NOPX for about a month. The skimmer has been bumbling over the top for a week. My tank is now overrun with Cyano and Bubble. I'm going to tackle this over the next three days.
All of the rock needs to come out to reset anyway. Would you remove and manually scrub it, then return it to the tank and run Chemiclean .... or would you try to kill it with Chemiclean and THEN manually remove what's left? It's also forming an island of red yuck hanging off of my locline returns. ;Vomit My coraline is covered by a dusting of reddish brown. Sad looking reef right now. I'm looking for an aggressive plan of attack here.
Open for suggestions...

PXL_20201023_024405528.MP.jpg PXL_20201023_024511798.jpg PXL_20201023_024503728.jpg PXL_20201023_024446273.jpg
 
Good ole chemi clean always work!
 
Good ole chemi clean always work!
Would you dose Chemiclean before trying to manually clean the rocks or try to manually remove what I can before dosing the tank?
 
Would you dose Chemiclean before trying to manually clean the rocks or try to manually remove what I can before dosing the tank?
You don’t even have to clean the rocks or nothing. Once you put the solution with tank water, give it 48 hours and your tank will look brand new. You only have to remove any media and increase your flow
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top