Cyano with low phosphate and nitrate. Add or keep levels low?

fishmonkey

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2021
Messages
432
Reaction score
202
Location
Los Angeles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of adding and lowering nitrate and phosphate when trying to get rid of cyano. Been having this problem for a while and it’s getting a tad better after a few months but it still returns pretty fast.
Just did a test recently and my nitrates is below 5 and phosphate is 0.01. Should I keep it this way or feed more/change filter socks less often?
 
I forget what to do, but can you post a picture to show us the cyano? I've used Chemiclean in the past, follow the directions, and change the water afterwards and had reasonable results. Seems like once the tank hits a couple of years in age the cyano isn't likely to persist, nutrients be what they may.
 
If you got corals in your tank you want nitrates at 10 and phosphate. 05 to .1. Cyano can be siphoned out with water changes and adjust flow to move it off the sandbed into the water column so your filtration gets it.
 
I forget what to do, but can you post a picture to show us the cyano? I've used Chemiclean in the past, follow the directions, and change the water afterwards and had reasonable results. Seems like once the tank hits a couple of years in age the cyano isn't likely to persist, nutrients be what they may.
Here are some pics and it’s been about a week since I did a water change/cleanup.

I blew of the cyano and siphoned the sand every day for a few days at multiple point but honesty I don’t have the time to do that every night for more than 4 days in a row.
 

Attachments

  • 4CFACFA5-EC53-4FCC-B3D2-E7A18CF5A47A.jpeg
    4CFACFA5-EC53-4FCC-B3D2-E7A18CF5A47A.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 44462B4B-471C-4693-850E-12C5974AAB43.jpeg
    44462B4B-471C-4693-850E-12C5974AAB43.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 64
I'd just do chemiclean at this point. Cyano could ideally thrive in a 0 nitrate but elevated phosphate environment. I like phosphate between 0.03ppm and 0.1ppm. I also prefer nitrate to be a few ppm with my hanna hr, or at least 5ppm with most other test kits.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top