Cycling my fluval evo 13.5

Hi everyone, wondering if I can get some information on some questions I have, please.

Tonight I set up my Fluval Evo and it's currently cycling. No skimmer but stock filtration media. (no upgrades). I have ocean direct live sand and Caribsea liferock.
I do not want to go the route of adding a bacteria agent. I am happy to wait as long as I need for it to cycle on its own. Will this still fully cycle over time with the rock and sand i have in the tank? if so when should I expect bacteria to start forming?
Is there anything I need to know or add?

I'm confused with Skip and Stalled cycling. What would my way be classed as?

Thanks! :)
Mmmm I ran both of my Nanos on a blackout cycle for about a month while adding fluval cycle. I then turned the lights on for another 2 months before adding any fish and any coral... I knew my tank was ready once the stomatella Snails Snails and pod colonies were visible on my glass. Lol... I only recently started testing after about a year of having both tanks.
 

Attachments

  • 20211121_152019.jpg
    20211121_152019.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20220225-185834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220225-185834_Gallery.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 59
Mmmm I ran both of my Nanos on a blackout cycle for about a month while adding fluval cycle. I then turned the lights on for another 2 months before adding any fish and any coral... I knew my tank was ready once the stomatella Snails Snails and pod colonies were visible on my glass. Lol... I only recently started testing after about a year of having both tanks.
Ah nice! How is it going now?
I think I see shells on my sand bed and some sort of antenna on my rock. I can’t get close enough round the back to look.
Does life start appearing on the sand and rock once cycled ? Even though there was absolutely no possible way of life being on the rock in the first place ?

image.jpg image.jpg
 
During the cycling process, various organisms that were on the rocks or in the sand start to grow. The shells may have always been in the sand and just got kicked up. The antenna looks like it may be a vermetid snail - which is a pest that releases a mucus net that irritates corals, best to kill them early.
 
During the cycling process, various organisms that were on the rocks or in the sand start to grow. The shells may have always been in the sand and just got kicked up. The antenna looks like it may be a vermetid snail - which is a pest that releases a mucus net that irritates corals, best to kill them early.
Thanks for that :)

ah jeez! I didn’t want pests in my tank what’s the best way to kill them?
 
Ah nice! How is it going now?
I think I see shells on my sand bed and some sort of antenna on my rock. I can’t get close enough round the back to look.
Does life start appearing on the sand and rock once cycled ? Even though there was absolutely no possible way of life being on the rock in the first place ?

image.jpg image.jpg
Hey man, yeah both tanks seem to just be coasting by now... I'm not doing much anymore other than water changes (once a week on the lps softie tank and once every 3 days on my sps) and you'd be surprised the amount of life you'd see out of live rock specially depending where ya purchase. I get mines from my local reef store. They cycle they're rocks themselves so anything coming out of those tubs is packed with beneficial bacteria and sometimes Snails and bristles. Dosing fluval cycle or anything else of the sort will only help. I wouldn't necessarily say it would speed up the process though as people tend to have the misconception... it's like a booster shot not a cure...
 
I would guess the only way you have hitchhikers at this point is if it came from the live sand???? You are using caribsea rocks correct?
Or did you add some CUC?
 
Hey man, yeah both tanks seem to just be coasting by now... I'm not doing much anymore other than water changes (once a week on the lps softie tank and once every 3 days on my sps) and you'd be surprised the amount of life you'd see out of live rock specially depending where ya purchase. I get mines from my local reef store. They cycle they're rocks themselves so anything coming out of those tubs is packed with beneficial bacteria and sometimes Snails and bristles. Dosing fluval cycle or anything else of the sort will only help. I wouldn't necessarily say it would speed up the process though as people tend to have the misconception... it's like a booster shot not a cure...
Hey man, yeah both tanks seem to just be coasting by now... I'm not doing much anymore other than water changes (once a week on the lps softie tank and once every 3 days on my sps) and you'd be surprised the amount of life you'd see out of live rock specially depending where ya purchase. I get mines from my local reef store. They cycle they're rocks themselves so anything coming out of those tubs is packed with beneficial bacteria and sometimes Snails and bristles. Dosing fluval cycle or anything else of the sort will only help. I wouldn't necessarily say it would speed up the process though as people tend to have the misconception... it's like a booster shot not a cure...

Your SPS tank looks great!
I am tempted to get an automatic water change and do it daily but not sure? What would be your thoughts on this? and how much would you take out a day?
 
Your SPS tank looks great!
I am tempted to get an automatic water change and do it daily but not sure? What would be your thoughts on this? and how much would you take out a day?
Thanks. I actually JUST added a blue sparrow table acro and a disco acro party. So that should be it. Now just to grow out... tbh. I'd stay away from any "automatic" systems for anything in the "nano tank" spectrum... maybe because I'm more hands on. Lol but I don't find it too difficult to change 2gal of water manually...
 
Thanks. I actually JUST added a blue sparrow table acro and a disco acro party. So that should be it. Now just to grow out... tbh. I'd stay away from any "automatic" systems for anything in the "nano tank" spectrum... maybe because I'm more hands on. Lol but I don't find it too difficult to change 2gal of water manually..

nice!
Yeah I was thinking that. Think I’ll just stick to weekly water changes when I start adding LIve stock :)
 
nice!
Yeah I was thinking that. Think I’ll just stick to weekly water changes when I start adding LIve stock :)
Yeah man. Good luck on your reef... I'll be posting a few pics along with the specs of my Nanos later... hopefully it could help a few folks out. I was a bit overwhelmed with the hobby and all its "must haves" at first. Everyone has a way of doing things and all the info can be a bit too much sometimes. I ultimately just want to show people that it's possible to grow acros on a budget... and have them thrive as well. Happy reefing man...
 
Yeah man. Good luck on your reef... I'll be posting a few pics along with the specs of my Nanos later... hopefully it could help a few folks out. I was a bit overwhelmed with the hobby and all its "must haves" at first. Everyone has a way of doing things and all the info can be a bit too much sometimes. I ultimately just want to show people that it's possible to grow acros on a budget... and have them thrive as well. Happy reefing man...
That’s class mate! I’ll keep an eye out :) cheers buddy
 
Hi folks,
I started an Evo 13.5 a few weeks ago, used Dr Tim’s One and Only to start out, then I added 2 snails and 3 small coral frags….
I’m starting to get the ugly stage, but water params are still good….
In Tank media basket Chamber 1 with filter pad, Chemipure Elite and stock ceramic bio media in the bottom…Stock heater in chamber 2, stock return pump, Evo powerhead for more flow….
Do I need to do anything with this stuff on the rock and bottom, or let it ride?
Thanks!
Franz in NJ
 

Attachments

  • D4B20928-A87B-404D-90A3-84985E8707EF.jpeg
    D4B20928-A87B-404D-90A3-84985E8707EF.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 8EBA8204-2760-408D-8F8F-D9C77C446855.jpeg
    8EBA8204-2760-408D-8F8F-D9C77C446855.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 3C51A17D-07C6-4DE7-BB8C-0900039A4B06.jpeg
    3C51A17D-07C6-4DE7-BB8C-0900039A4B06.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 49
  • A7CEA9D6-1E02-4F2B-BB86-B748D9BFED19.jpeg
    A7CEA9D6-1E02-4F2B-BB86-B748D9BFED19.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 7F64C472-1178-4E56-A081-0A5782241DE3.jpeg
    7F64C472-1178-4E56-A081-0A5782241DE3.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 52
Hi folks,
I started an Evo 13.5 a few weeks ago, used Dr Tim’s One and Only to start out, then I added 2 snails and 3 small coral frags….
I’m starting to get the ugly stage, but water params are still good….
In Tank media basket Chamber 1 with filter pad, Chemipure Elite and stock ceramic bio media in the bottom…Stock heater in chamber 2, stock return pump, Evo powerhead for more flow….
Do I need to do anything with this stuff on the rock and bottom, or let it ride?
Thanks!
Franz in NJ
Just a diatom bloom - common in new tanks. Best to just let it ride.
 
Just a diatom bloom - common in new tanks. Best to just let it ride.
Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I thought it was...
What should I be feeding my 2 snails? They keep snarfing on my coral frags!
Where in NJ are you? I'm in Highlands, near SandyHook....
Thanks again!
Franz in NJ
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top