Cycling tank with lights on…?

Hannahmunt

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2022
Messages
287
Reaction score
70
Location
London
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running two weeks now with live rock live sand. Yesterday I added three chromis abs was given two soft corals (sinularia & Xenia)

I’ve read that during the cycle I should keep my lights turned off….but will these two corals die if I keep the light of for a month?

9501BCEE-9047-4803-958C-77609549A547.jpeg CD258E80-86BD-452C-BBF6-DB7CD618DCE4.jpeg
 
Yes, it is likely the corals will die. They need light to complete photosynthesis (for food), so without this they will die.
 
You're a little early with adding corals, not that it can't be done anyway. Just leave the lights on for the sake of the coral, it's not going to make or break anything with regard to the cycle. One way or another you're gonna get the nasties that come with a maturing tank.
 
The live rock came with the coral attached and someone gave me a small piece of theirs. I’ve been keeping the lights on but haven’t noticed any brown spots or the start of the giggly phase.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top