Cynarina half dead in 24 hours. Any ideas?

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
10,593
Reaction score
15,225
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally dumbfounded by this. I've had this red cynarina for a few years and it's one of the nicest pieces I have. It's been doing fine untill I looked at it this morning and it's half dead. Tank is mature at about 8year. I have made no recent changes at all to lights, flow, parameters not even a water change in a week. No new. Live stock editions in months. I know stuff dies for no reason sometimes but this one really has me baffled and a liitle upset. It went from this
20230728_205012.jpg


To this over night.
20230810_124658.jpg
 
Do you think a predator (like a foreworm) could have consumed it at night?
 
Ouch, probably a bacteria infection. I would try a lugols dip to save it.
Doing that now and will place it in the frag section of the sump and keep my fingers crossed.
Do you think a predator (like a foreworm) could have consumed it at night?
I have worms that may be fireworms but have never seen a large one. I never bother trying to Id them as I never see them unless I'm moving something and they are under it and I've had them in my tanks years. There was one under the plug on this it didn't appear nearly as large as I would expect it to have to be to consume that much flesh over night.
 
What are your Magnesium Levels? I have had some corals die overnight when my magnesium levels climbed too high while others are unaffected. Just a thought of something to check.
 
When gone quickly, Looks like someone had lunch.
Not doubting that its just that there has been nothing added . I haven't added a fish in over a year. I had a niger trigger go rogue after 6 years but he just started taking chunks out not eating almost an entire coral and he is gone but anything is possible. I guess if its a predator well see if it only likes the pretty red meat corals or if it moves to the others. Might be time to set up a camera and do some late night inspections.
 
@SaltyTwigs
I haven't checked mag recently but the last time I did it was 1370. I use the same salt mix in 3 tanks and the few times I have checked mag it was always right around the same. I will check it tho now just to rule it out. thanks

EDIT: mag is 1350 via salifert
 
Last edited:
I'm totally dumbfounded by this. I've had this red cynarina for a few years and it's one of the nicest pieces I have. It's been doing fine untill I looked at it this morning and it's half dead. Tank is mature at about 8year. I have made no recent changes at all to lights, flow, parameters not even a water change in a week. No new. Live stock editions in months. I know stuff dies for no reason sometimes but this one really has me baffled and a liitle upset. It went from this
20230728_205012.jpg


To this over night.
20230810_124658.jpg
did you recently take a picture of it and tell someone how good it was doing?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top