Dead snail.... How to clean the shell for hermit crabs later use.

Joshua Agostoni

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 7, 2017
Messages
424
Reaction score
116
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today i found a dead snail in my aquarium and since i have hermit crabs i figured this is a great new home for one of them when they need it. How do i clean it for them, do i just it in water and pull the rest of the meat snail out and plop it on it the tank or do i need to do something special?
 
Well you can pull the meat out if you would like. I would personally leave it, your clean up crew and bristleworms should make quick work of the shell and then a hermit will move in
 
Well it has bin dead for a few days now and they havn't this concerns me cause i can smell it when i try to so if they havn't eaten it yet im not sure why. plus since there not it is putting adding nutrients to it.
 
Take it out and put it under the sun for few weeks.
That makes no sense boiling it would release anything that still in it and kill all germs I was just making sure that's all I needed to do
 
Just put it under the sink and let out dry out, and if you're really worried, bleach soak should kill anything. I'm bleaching mine now as I got them from the hobby store
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Put that dead snail in a quite section of your yard and the ants or other bug will have it all cleaned out for you.
 
That makes no sense boiling it would release anything that still in it and kill all germs I was just making sure that's all I needed to do

No problem if you can stand the smell. As some has suggested, leaving the dead snail in the tank is fine too. CUC will clean it up for you. Extra nutrients is unavoidable. There is no guarantee any hermit crab will use it anyway. It make no sense throwing others suggestion into the drain simply because it doesn't suits your ideas.
 
No problem if you can stand the smell. As some has suggested, leaving the dead snail in the tank is fine too. CUC will clean it up for you. Extra nutrients is unavoidable. There is no guarantee any hermit crab will use it anyway. It make no sense throwing others suggestion into the drain simply because it doesn't suits your ideas.
I didn't mean to offend you its just I'm not trying to have it sit out side for weeks I heard you can boil them to release any more of the snail attached and just put them into your tank. But I also know that taking them out instead of letting them decay is going to remove the chance of it them adding more nutrients.

Again sorry if I offended you but that to mean just doesn't make sense.
 
I didn't mean to offend you its just I'm not trying to have it sit out side for weeks I heard you can boil them to release any more of the snail attached and just put them into your tank. But I also know that taking them out instead of letting them decay is going to remove the chance of it them adding more nutrients.

Again sorry if I offended you but that to mean just doesn't make sense.

Boiling a dead snail is not fun at all, especially a decaying snail. If you are choosing that method, I wish you all the best.
 
Right here in my state, we boiled fresh snails from the sea as food. I know how bad a dead snails smells, if you have been to sewerage plant, a single decaying snails is 10 times smelly.

thY573QP6Z.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top