DeHumidifier helps or is bad for water room

DeHumidifier helps or is bad for water room

  • Yes

    Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No difference

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    10

PachecoBoston

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2018
Messages
63
Reaction score
35
Location
Mashpee
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water room has 350 gallon sump plus 2 100 gallon frag. The room is getting very wet. Should I use dehumidifier or is bad idea?
thanks
 
I’d use one. If you’re getting condensation on the walls you could be staring at a mold problem very soon.
 
My water room has 350 gallon sump plus 2 100 gallon frag. The room is getting very wet. Should I use dehumidifier or is bad idea?
thanks
I think mold would be worse than the electricity consumption or heat produced by the dehumidifier. I use one in my fish room and pull about 1 1/2 gallons out per day.

go oversized so it doesn’t run constantly. My room is 240 sq ft and my unit is for a 4,500 sq ft space.
 
Condensation on the wall is not a good sign. I would get some humidity monitors to understand just how high it is inside your fish room. Once the humidity levels get above 80% it becomes the ideal environment for mold. If you do not have floor/wall/ceiling materials that are moisture barriers then the moisture will be absorbed into those materials. A dehumidifier would definitely help clear this issue. If you are concerned about the heat generated from dehumidifier impacting your aquariums then I would pull the air out of the room with a dehumidifier connected to a drier vent which will keep the heat of the dehumidifier out of the room.
 
I use a standard dehumidifier in my basement fish room and it works fine. Have been toying with replacing it with a ducted portable AC unit with a dehumidification option. That way heat and water goes out of the exhaust pipe.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top