Denise's Halcyon Red Sea Reefer Protobuild 3/25/17

Ugh, I really hate that I can't go back and edit prior posts after a certain period of time so that the build thread has all relevant, current info in the top post!

R2R supporters can go back and edit posts indefinately. Non supporters can only edit them within a few minutes of posting typically.

Nice build so far :) Always like the setup for these kits - cant wait to see what you do when it gets going.
 
@MrMichael, outstanding suggestions. I will start in the Brute and move it over when the tank arrives and finish in there with the Deltec and MP40 running. I bought some Instant Ocean so I'll have plenty of somewhat disposable salt for water changes before the final fill with HW
 
Ha! You are brilliant, @ksfulk!!! Just upgraded membership. Thanks so much for the tip! I'll tidy this thread up when I can edit.
 
Been aquascaping this afternoon. Got my large structure glued and ready to go into the Brute container to start soaking. What do you all think?

F1B75F09-DE76-4291-954C-AC1A7024CAC7_zpsgwdjqssy.jpg
 
4/5/2017 Update: Just a couple of pics. Custom dosing container from Blue Tide Acrylics in matching green! Thanks, @pelphrey for the YouTube which led me to Blue Tide! Also, doser arrived! Slowly but surely things are coming together. Tank will be ordered on next preferred reefer day from BRS.

8E8A3BC9-A82B-40D5-B097-C14A2B2104FE_zpskfryt74d.jpg



B126B431-3F79-48E7-B736-BD35E61379B1_zpsvhogkjnm.jpg
 
Hat dosing container looks awesome!! How do you like it? Want to hear your thoughts on that doser as well, I'd like to have that doser when the time comes. Can you program it via a web interface?
 
4/5/2017 Update: Just a couple of pics. Custom dosing container from Blue Tide Acrylics in matching green! Thanks, @pelphrey for the YouTube which led me to Blue Tide! Also, doser arrived! Slowly but surely things are coming together. Tank will be ordered on next preferred reefer day from BRS.

8E8A3BC9-A82B-40D5-B097-C14A2B2104FE_zpskfryt74d.jpg



B126B431-3F79-48E7-B736-BD35E61379B1_zpsvhogkjnm.jpg

Very nice doser you got there.
 
Hat dosing container looks awesome!! How do you like it? Want to hear your thoughts on that doser as well, I'd like to have that doser when the time comes. Can you program it via a web interface?
Hi, @pelphrey! Yes, you can program the doser via computer when properly setup. I don't have the dosing container yet. Blue Tide sent me the "almost finished" pics. I'm so impressed with the way they did each dosing door. Very sleek. To use the Synergy sump I needed them to make me a very narrow container so everything sits nicely inside the cabinet. Once I went custom, why not get the acrylic to match, right?!?! :) I tried to find neon green tubing for the doser but I haven't found it yet. (Might be just a little over the top, but fun nonetheless.)
 
Thanks, @Lori LeBlanc ! I wish I could take full credit but it's my take on a Japanese aquascape I really liked when googling information as well as incorporation of some great aquascape articles.

http://fish-etc.com/aquascaping-main/on-the-rocks-how-to-build-a-saltwater-reefscape

and @Veganbrian's thread on Tips/Tricks for Amazing Aquascapes on that "other" reef site. He posted this pic which I used for inspiration:

andre_zpsmujdo9dz.jpg


Obviously, not my pic. Photo cred to Andre as noted above. (I'll be happy to remove if not acceptable to post.)
 
TANK HAS BEEN ORDERED! No longer a protobuild. I have been waiting for the BRS double points day so I finally got the tank on the way! Nice to get the double points on such a large order. Will help offset the last minute stuff I have forgotten. Rock continues to cure in the rubbermaids and the last few sundry items have been trickling in.

Got my first Hanna Checkers this week. Where have they been all my life???!!! The dKh is so quick and easy!!! Feeling much better about being able to keep a good eye on parameters.
 
Following. Curious to see how you like that return pump. Looking get the S-8 for my build but haven't seen many reviews on those yet.
 
Got my first Hanna Checkers this week. Where have they been all my life???!!! The dKh is so quick and easy!

Congrats on the tank order. The Alk checker is sweet, the Phosphorus one isn't as easy (powder, time limits, waiting 3 minutes) but it's still far superior to any other option.

I also want to hear about your Varios, I'm thinking of the 4 for my upcoming 170 build. I hope it's quiet.
 
Been aquascaping this afternoon. Got my large structure glued and ready to go into the Brute container to start soaking. What do you all think?

F1B75F09-DE76-4291-954C-AC1A7024CAC7_zpsgwdjqssy.jpg

I really like it!
 
BIG DAY!!!

98CAD042-A5E1-4EA3-AC02-31AEEA6A40AB_zpsjfo2hczk.jpg


Tank arrived yesterday and I spent today building the stand and getting the tank up on top. Have left the doors off the cabinet for the moment for ease of leak testing, getting everything plumbed, etc.

The stand seems very sturdy and was reasonable to put together. I really like the foam to help cushion/level out any hot spots for your sump and the tank.

A couple of helpful hints I wish I would have known:
1. Red Sea uses PVC-U pipe and schedule 40 PVC is just a smidge too big for it if you are doing any kind of hard/custom plumbing. I am going to pick up some schedule 80 and hope it will work as it is allegedly slightly smaller inside diameter. I prefer the gray anyway but the local Home Depot didn't have any on hand.
2. Even the best laid plans don't always work out. I meticulous planned/measured/had customized parts for the sump area of the tank. I even built in tolerances for the width of the cabinet when calculating my interior dimensions. However, I somehow missed calculating that the entire stand is approximately 1/2" inset from the tank dimensions. I also guessed the cabinet wood was 1/2" and it is more like 3/4". Ultimately, this means my dosing container (custom made for my proposed dimensions), does not fit where I had intended to put it. New plan: Dosing container will be placed next to ATO reservoir with no problem and my Apex will now be outside the tank stand and housed in its own cabinet. I was initially bummed out, but with more thought, I'm choosing to look at it as a happy accident because now the Apex will be much better protected separate and apart from the sump. I am going to buy an inexpensive medicine cabinet the same color as the stand and turn it into the Apex cupboard. It should blend nicely and be even more accessible than previous plans. Will post photos when complete.

Next steps: Filling with RO water below the overflow line as the sump isn't ready yet. Will mix in salt and move the rocks to continue curing inside the tank while I gather the correct PVC adaptors and wait a couple more days for my lights. That will at least give me my bathtub back which has been hosting two 25 gallon Rubbermaids to get the rock started off while I waited for the tank to get here. I also need to clean off the ledge behind the tank for a cleaner look. I can tend to be a packrat sometimes. Once lights arrive and the sump is fully plumbed and tested, I can do my measurements and have the folks at Artfully Acrylics send my mesh top.

Coming along, friends. Coming along!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top