Diamond Back Gobie making huge mess in 20 gallon

reefer2000

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2019
Messages
197
Reaction score
91
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I bought a Diamond back gobie 2 days ago for it to clear the sandbed, but its making a mess and the water is extremely cloudy like you sometimes cannot see the other side. Its in a 20 gallon cube should I take him out because I have always had very clear water and the corals are pretty ticked off to, or should I wait and everything will settle down. I'm in a pickle here, any help from you guys?
 
This is what they do ;) The detritus kicked up by the goby will probably reduce in time, but you will always have sand raining down. You could give it some time and see if things settle down or return to the LFS. Sand sifting gobies, as their name implies, will constantly sift your sand and this action will allow particles to enter the water column.
 
Start vacuuming your sand every water change to remove the dust. This is why rinsing sand before use is highly recommended.
 
That sounds like a diamond back to me. They are construction workers in progress.
 
This is what they do ;) The detritus kicked up by the goby will probably reduce in time, but you will always have sand raining down. You could give it some time and see if things settle down or return to the LFS. Sand sifting gobies, as their name implies, will constantly sift your sand and this action will allow particles to enter the water column.
Thats the thing it does not pour sand like other gobies it just sifts but makes the water cloudy
 
Start vacuuming your sand every water change to remove the dust. This is why rinsing sand before use is highly recommended.
I really dont do water changes on my tanks. Probably the reason why the sand is like that
 
Start vacuuming your sand every water change to remove the dust. This is why rinsing sand before use is highly recommended.
Mine was a caribsea live sand thats the reason I did not rinse it because I always rinse the sands when I put them in the tank
 
I have had a Diamond goby for about 4 months now and from my experience it settles down. He will find his burrow and he will keep making mounds but the cloudiness goes away.
Sometimes he goes on a rampage and stirrs around a bit but mostly he just sifts without making a sandstorm.
Give it time and it will most likely settle.
 
My favorite Goby. Mine had a great personality and would always swim to greet me.Or just stare me down! Sand bed should calm down over time, as stated.Mine was also a jumper when startled, so tank had to be screened.
 
I have had a Diamond goby for about 4 months now and from my experience it settles down. He will find his burrow and he will keep making mounds but the cloudiness goes away.
Sometimes he goes on a rampage and stirrs around a bit but mostly he just sifts without making a sandstorm.
Give it time and it will most likely settle.
Already taking it back. My euphyllias suffered really bad had to get rid of him, but still loved this fish, when i get a bigger sysytem definately will have this guy
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top