Diatoms have started - some green algae on the LR as well.

Day 7
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Also got my DI chamber and TDS meter plumbed in. I am going to build some shelving to get all of this off the floor but no time today.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I was showing ~5 PPM TDS before the DI chamber. Now I've purged stored water and refilled and its reading 0.
 
Wow you have a Apex or reefkeeper on that as well? Cool another guy starting nice
Yeah I've had it for years. Used to use it to run my CO2 injection in my planted tank as well as my heaters in 3 tanks and leak detection.

It's nice to keep my temp within 0.1 degrees 24/7.
 
Funny that's how I started with my apex on fresh planted. I had so much on the planted that was mainly meant for salt it was amazing ( reef ready lights, a full Apex with salinity probes, vortechs and on and on
 
So I had to redo my RO/DI a bit. Water on water tank for drinking and then a check valve between the RO and the DI and storage. Water for drinking never passes through DI and water for the tank which goes through DI never passes through drinking water lines.

image.jpeg
 
I would worry if I didn't see this start occurring. The tank is going through its normal cycling process. You've got a lot more ugly stages to come. Just let it run its course. Keep up with water changes, don't overstock and be patient.
 
Here is day 15. I feel like I should do something about the algae.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
 
Yes agreed, it should be stopped yesterday.
Well... Just scrub the rocks?

I've never had algae issues with FW as I was able to use live plants to take the nutrients out of the water.
 
Nope, I promise you it's time to cheat. Nothing else is worth your time. Everything else will be recommended, use those offers after your tank is cheated back to new.

You've acted/felt the pressure in time to absolutely turn around within 36 hours, check our prediction dates in the link below it's pure fun to keep stacking them up.


it's correct that in your unique tank cycling variables green algae are selected and it's part of a cycling tank. But farming algae is optional, and not related to bacterial cycling. Nothing says you have to cheat forever, but right about now would be ideal.


It's time to cheat on your return on investment. If you scrub without peroxide you get:
-a fully clean algae free tank, a start over, upon completion. Try to have done within three days :)
-fast regrowth, probably by next week same required/ add two frustration points for hesitating.

But if you do exactly this->
Lift out every rock of algae one by one and pour peroxide from a brand new bottle not used, but new, across every surface with growths and let sit in the air for five mins, literally sitting in air cooking. then rinse off the growths and put rocks cleaned, with cheat, back in tank and siphon up around the edges of the sand and glass when removed...this is as much spot cleaning of sand as it is cheating rock clean. Arrange your scape back

You now have rocks cleaned with massive regrowth cut. You will love the outcome

Massive cut of regrowth due to cheat, enough to permanently seat peroxide use in reefing forever. This doesn't mean it's your ideal long term preventer, get better with export and nutrient detailing. But your tank is at a crossroads, and we build massive threads off what .75 cents can do
 
no harm to your critical bacteria it's my number one claim and we think it's well supported here below. Check the sub links to reefcentral and nano-reef.com and 3reef, that's 200 pages of supporting data on cheaters who were mighty happy with a little cheat of peroxide

http://reef2reef.com/threads/reef2reef-pest-algae-challenge-thread-hydrogen-peroxide.187042/


Summary of 200 pages directly per your tank pics: we dump nothing into your water.

You have a fully beatable invader that is not strongly seated. There is no rush, do a single test rock if a jump off isn't comfortable. It will comply as predicted. If you like what it does do them all there is no consideration for bacteria here because this doesn't impact them no matter how you apply, regardless of popular thought minus the 200 pages heh.


All you are doing is hand guiding, the peroxide extends the growback prevention time massively, as if you've made big changes to the water

Only now you have a clean tank to make those changes and hope they work. If not, cheat again > my sum total algae philosophy.
 
Last edited:
Well... Just scrub the rocks?

I've never had algae issues with FW as I was able to use live plants to take the nutrients out of the water.
see the hob refugium recommendation in your other algae help thread.
 
Don't tell my wife...
image.jpeg

Then a peroxide bath. Then a good rinse. Should I wait to put it back in/let it dry out first?

There is still plenty of live rock in the tank and the bio load is fairly low.
 
It won't matter since the active surface area is still excessive in the tank.

Personally I wouldn't dry it or harsh it solely because we don't need a one off fix, this is why I don't recommend people toss rock and start over. We have such a good chem lawnmower cheat and it is likely to be needed again one day, so a harshing wouldn't sustain anyway. Grazers w prevent any retreats, hopefully.

Right now someone is reading that tried peroxide and got a fast growback for green hair algae. That's like randomly picking an antibiotic and dosage and taking a two day trial, and expecting it to cure your viral health issue (mismatches with no indication testing)


For Mikes tank we could already tell it was susceptible to the simplest method and percentage 3% solely off pics... we have a hundred of these tanks.

But should he have the spiky, set in and anchored variants that do not waive in the water, the tough strains--we'd have attacked with health food store 35% and still won.

and still started with a test rock and detritus test so he didn't waste his time guessing at what a whole tank run would do...using the right tool for the job --> shop teacher said he'd fail us if we failed that. I darn sure didn't use a screwdriver handle as a hammer, at least in front of him.
 
I know you're trying to be helpful but I can't seem to follow what you're saying very well.

I'll have to read it again with less beer. Indy 500 time.
 
No harm to bac either way but the lesser treatment is good enough
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top