- Joined
- Mar 9, 2015
- Messages
- 526
- Reaction score
- 372
- Location
- Palm Bay, Fl
- What state or country do you live in
- Florida
This one has me scratching my head. I have a 3 y/o, well established 14g BC that has suddenly started showing what I believe are diatoms. A brown “dusty” growth, mostly on the glass that is easily removed with my algae scraper. It's definitely gotten worse since I shut down my skimmer, but I'm trying to re-establish some nitrates for my zoas, so starting the skimmer back up, or adding something like Purigen would have a negative impact on that effort. The only new addition, a month ago, is a small frag of Candy Apple zoas, and this started showing up shortly thereafter. I’m aware they feed off silicates in a new system but unless the very small frag was absolutely crawling with silicates, I’m at a loss as to where it could be coming from. I suppose it could be another form of brown algae, but it certainly appears to be diatom's. I'll post a pic or two today once the lights come on. Ideas, gang?

that just keeps it at bay a while ideally. The dinos are not like I thought they'd be, my own tank has that amnt of growth on the glass right now too. If youll rip clean its really good for the system, and that low of diatom/suspected diatom wouldn't be hard to get under control first go I bet

