Diatoms in old tank/ new sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dana
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Dana

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
527
Reaction score
29
Location
Ma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started my new sump last week and now I've got that nice orange brown algae growing in the sump. I'm just curious, the tank had been running for like 5 years, but the sump is new. I know diatoms are typical in a new tank, but what does mind classify as? Is this normal or is my tank cycling again? My phosphates are at like .25 and kh at 200 or so. As far as my nitrates and nitrites, I dunno, I loaned my brother my test kits. Hmmm
 
You have a new tank, its the sump, with a new light on it, for new bacteria to grow on.
 
I even will get a small outbreak of diatoms when I add a new rock that is fully cured.
 
yes i did also add a bag of new cured rock rubble.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top