Did not wash Live Rock...What should I do?

Salt Daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2022
Messages
74
Reaction score
52
Location
Gainesville, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a bit of a dummy....

In my excitement to finally put something in my tank (Been waiting for payday to finally add in rock and a clown fish) I forgot one very important rule "WASH" your live rock.

My rock was in the tank for maybe 15 minutes before I took a smoke break and realized "OH FRACK!". I quickly took the rock out and washed it with TAP.


How screwed am I? Should I set the tank on fire and start over ( o_O )??
 
Either way I think ye fine I put both dry and live rock in my tank and never washed it off lol
 
Yeah why would one want to wash live rock?

Just put it in the tank if it's truly live rock. The whole purpose of buying live rock is for all the bacteria, and micro life on it. Washing it in plain water(either it be TAP, or RO/DI), would kill quite a bit of that life.
 
Yeah why would one want to wash live rock?

Just put it in the tank if it's truly live rock. The whole purpose of buying live rock is for all the bacteria, and micro life on it. Washing it in plain water(either it be TAP, or RO/DI), would kill quite a bit of that life.
That's a good point about even RODI killing stuff.
 
Onky need to rinse dry rock because it normally has a bunch of dust/sand (pulverized rock) in it from shipping etc. Even at that probably okay without rinsing dry rock unless it got chemicals on it or something.
 
I feel like a bit of a dummy....

In my excitement to finally put something in my tank (Been waiting for payday to finally add in rock and a clown fish) I forgot one very important rule "WASH" your live rock.

My rock was in the tank for maybe 15 minutes before I took a smoke break and realized "OH FRACK!". I quickly took the rock out and washed it with TAP.


How screwed am I? Should I set the tank on fire and start over ( o_O )??

I think you’re more screwed using tap water unless it’s from a well. No need to rinse live rock, you could’ve simply shook it in the container
I would definitely add some water conditioner that makes water safe from chlorine
 
You never wash live rock with tap or RO water. Saltwater to get off the mulm and sand but not fresh water. Too late now. Hopefully, minimal impact.
 
I know I am new around here but....
Seems to me there is tons of misinformation in the replies here.

Washing off the miniscule amount of bacteria that might be remaining on the surface of your rocks is not going to bother the bacteria living inside the rock one bit.

Also whatever minute amounts of chlorine/chloramine that didn't gas off if you did rinse the rock with tap water is not going to be the least bit detectable.

OP - don't stress - you are fine whether you rinsed your rock or didn't.
Go have another smoke and smile!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top