Different light schedule for each day of the week?

Who me?

⛵
View Badges
Joined
Mar 19, 2018
Messages
360
Reaction score
327
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems a few fixtures offer the ability to run different light schedules each day of the week. Not sure what the use case / reasoning would be to do this?

Curious if anyone is doing this... And why/how you're changing the schedule from day to day? Different times? Different intensities? Different spectrums?

I'm sure there are not many doing this, so would also be interested in hearing others thoughts.
 
seems overkill to me, curious to know if some have experienced it.
Agree... I wouldn't even know where to start...
Seems like a nice way to irritate some coral
Agree, which is why I wanted to start this conversation. Not sure what the reasoning is, why would some lights offer this?
 
Agree... I wouldn't even know where to start...

Agree, which is why I wanted to start this conversation. Not sure what the reasoning is, why would some lights offer this?
it’s obviously to replicate the natural changes in weather.
 
Agree... I wouldn't even know where to start...

Agree, which is why I wanted to start this conversation. Not sure what the reasoning is, why would some lights offer this?


Maybe they are trying to fancy up the weather modes? It doesn't seem like a bad thing if its only slight changes from day to day. However, I can imagine someone messing it up pretty badly lol
 
I suppose if you were just making small timing and intensity changes it might make sense... But something like the Redsea reefled allows completely different settings for each day of the week.
 
It seems a few fixtures offer the ability to run different light schedules each day of the week. Not sure what the use case / reasoning would be to do this?

Curious if anyone is doing this... And why/how you're changing the schedule from day to day? Different times? Different intensities? Different spectrums?

I'm sure there are not many doing this, so would also be interested in hearing others thoughts.
I too had to read this. I wondered what exactly could this be for other than possibly an environmental or industrial application where one may have external lighting conditions.

I would still think that a proper preset would remedy this so having one for different days of the week sounds downright "work to be doing work".
 
I suppose if you were just making small timing and intensity changes it might make sense... But something like the Redsea reefled allows completely different settings for each day of the week.


Red sea led's are pretty limited in how much you can change them so that is probably fine but I don't think its intended to have massive jumps in intensity from that mode.
 
it’s obviously to replicate the natural changes in weather.
Perhaps. But wouldn't it then make more sense to just have it randomly make small changes to the intensity each day? Rather than always having the same setting repeat each Monday, each Tuesday, etc...
 
Perhaps. But wouldn't it then make more sense to just have it randomly make small changes to the intensity each day? Rather than always having the same setting repeat each Monday, each Tuesday, etc...
Let’s not go too crazy, we want natural but not too natural, a 6 week storm might be going too far :anguished-face:
 
Red sea led's are pretty limited in how much you can change them so that is probably fine but I don't think its intended to have massive jumps in intensity from that mode.
Certainly there would be some advantage to maybe running intensity ~5% more/less one day as opposed to another, to simulate, overcast days, sunny days, etc... But even the Red Sea allows different spectrums which could wreak havoc on corals day to day.
 
Let’s not go too crazy, we want natural but not too natural, a 6 week storm might be going too far :anguished-face:
That's not what I meant.
The way it is now you could set it to always be slightly less intense on Tuesday, but then every Tuesday would be a less intense day. That's not natural.
In nature, the randomness of a sunny versus cloudy versus overcast day would be better replicated by having a setting that just randomly adjusted intensity in small intervals from day to day.

So it would seem that if the intent was to use these daily schedules to replicate weather patterns, it would be better achieved by just adding the ability to randomize intensities rather than giving the ability to create completely individual schedules for each day of the week.
So I'm still trying to understand the manufacturer intent of giving this ability?
 
That's not what I meant.
The way it is now you could set it to always be slightly less intense on Tuesday, but then every Tuesday would be a less intense day. That's not natural.
In nature, the randomness of a sunny versus cloudy versus overcast day would be better replicated by having a setting that just randomly adjusted intensity in small intervals from day to day.

So it would seem that if the intent was to use these daily schedules to replicate weather patterns, it would be better achieved by just adding the ability to randomize intensities rather than giving the ability to create completely individual schedules for each day of the week.
So I'm still trying to understand the manufacturer intent of giving this ability?
I got what you meant, my answer still stands, it’s either random or not, they still want to allow some control.

If in your example, they only allow a margin of 5% intensity that is a very small change, you might as well not have that mode, if you increase the margin to 10-15% or even 20%, you then run the risk of the random mode staying too long on a low setting, yes a 7 day week set schedule is not natural but it’s more natural than one intensity everyday and less risky than a total random setting.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top