Discolored scales in Yellow Coris Wrasse

  • Thread starter Thread starter AlexLS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

AlexLS

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2020
Messages
22
Reaction score
40
Location
Timisoara
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I had in QT a Tellow Coris Wrase and more than a week ago I added it to DT. He stayed hidden in the sand for about 4-5 days. The is out and around for about 3 days now. Today during lights off I noticed something on his body. I need some help identifying if there is a disease or just scratches with the sand. Sand is Carib Sea Special Grade 1-2mm.

The fish is active, eating well, does not scratch on rocks, no flashes, no shaking head, if it wasn't for those spots I would say is perfectly healthy. However If it were not for that yawning I would just leave it be.
On normal daylight you can't see anything on him. I thought of flukes but does not look like anything online.
As you can see on the images below, only under deep blue lights one can see something on its body.

What do you think?

DSC_8294.jpg DSC_8295.jpg DSC_8296.jpg DSC_8297.jpg DSC_8298.jpg DSC_8299.jpg DSC_8301.jpg DSC_8303.jpg DSC_8304.jpg DSC_8307.jpg DSC_8308.jpg DSC_8317.jpg DSC_8319.jpg DSC_8322.jpg DSC_8323.jpg DSC_8324.jpg DSC_8327.jpg DSC_8328.jpg
 
Your sand is fine. It could be abrasions from burying or the start of some sort of infection. Yawning is common in wrasses, but it can also be a sign of flukes. Did you treat her for flukes during QT?
 
That could be thickened mucus in areas as a reaction to flukes. However, the shots of the fish under white light don't show any evidence of flukes. Your pictures are very clear and ironically, I normally have to ask people to take their sick fish pictures under white light, because the blue light obscures too many details, in this case, its the other way around!
At this point, if it has flukes, the rest of the tank does also (assuming the species of fluke can infect the species of fish you have). You may have the option of dosing the whole tank with praziquantel, but I wouldn't go down that road unless you see other symptoms in the wrasse or other fish; lesions that you can see under white light, frayed/cloudy fins, cloudy eyes and flashing.

Jay
 
Hello,

thank you for the answers. I did dip him in FW at the beginning of QT (nothing dropped out of him), but did not treat him with anything afterwards. Was there for a few weeks showing no symptoms of diseases however I would not know if it had this problem when I got him as the lights from QT are daylight LEDs. When I added him to DT he went straight into the sand and could not see him for several days.

Today, is as usual, darting around the glass on the side I am staying like begging for food continuously. Nothing new, still as the previous days, no abnormal behavior on him or other fishes.

About praziquantel, I have read a lot about PraziPro however such products cannot be found anywhere around. Quite hard to get reef supplies on my region.
I will try to get it somehow, but slim chances. I saw that praziquantel is part of dog dewormers but I guess this is not reef safe. (it contains Pyrantel and other excipients)
What I have at hand and ready to throw in, if any symptoms show up, is Herbtana and Artemiss from MicrobeLift. I also have the whole range from Seachem but I am not sure is reef safe even with focus as the shrimp will catch food too.

I will let you know if things get worse. Thank you again.
 
Speaking of QT, highjack my own post, guess QT is busy with Cuppramine... :(
 

Attachments

  • DSC_8333.JPG
    DSC_8333.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_8334.JPG
    DSC_8334.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC_8335.JPG
    DSC_8335.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 67
Hello,

thank you for the answers. I did dip him in FW at the beginning of QT (nothing dropped out of him), but did not treat him with anything afterwards. Was there for a few weeks showing no symptoms of diseases however I would not know if it had this problem when I got him as the lights from QT are daylight LEDs. When I added him to DT he went straight into the sand and could not see him for several days.

Today, is as usual, darting around the glass on the side I am staying like begging for food continuously. Nothing new, still as the previous days, no abnormal behavior on him or other fishes.

About praziquantel, I have read a lot about PraziPro however such products cannot be found anywhere around. Quite hard to get reef supplies on my region.
I will try to get it somehow, but slim chances. I saw that praziquantel is part of dog dewormers but I guess this is not reef safe. (it contains Pyrantel and other excipients)
What I have at hand and ready to throw in, if any symptoms show up, is Herbtana and Artemiss from MicrobeLift. I also have the whole range from Seachem but I am not sure is reef safe even with focus as the shrimp will catch food too.

I will let you know if things get worse. Thank you again.
Hi,

Sorry, I missed that you live in Romania. The Herbtana and Artemiss are herbal type remedies and I have not had any luck resolving fluke issues with those sorts of products (but I have NOT used those specifically myself). Seachem products are good, but they don't offer Praziquantel. Can you get API General Cure?

Hopefully, this is all just academic discussion and you won't actually need to treat the wrasse....

Jay
 
Hi,

Sorry, I missed that you live in Romania. The Herbtana and Artemiss are herbal type remedies and I have not had any luck resolving fluke issues with those sorts of products (but I have NOT used those specifically myself). Seachem products are good, but they don't offer Praziquantel. Can you get API General Cure?

Hopefully, this is all just academic discussion and you won't actually need to treat the wrasse....

Jay
None of the stores that I know have it listed. I will have to ask around but probably same boat as PraziPro.

I hope too :)
 
@AlexLS
Hi, i know its a old post, but i take a chance.
My wrass is exactly like your... only under blue light etc...
Can you tell me how the story end ? :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top