Disodium vs Trisodium Phosphate in a reef tank

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2014
Messages
8,121
Reaction score
6,797
Location
Houston, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody know the difference or have experience with both? Is there a better or safer option for raising PO4 between the two?
 
I'm certainly not a chemist so I'm not sure about the difference between the two and the real effects that the break down of these two salts means for your reef. I use trisodium as a heavy degreaser and it always leaves my skin feeling dry, itchy, and irritated. I'm not sure I would trust it in my reef if I was trying to raise PO4. Just my two cents.
 
I'm certainly not a chemist so I'm not sure about the difference between the two and the real effects that the break down of these two salts means for your reef. I use trisodium as a heavy degreaser and it always leaves my skin feeling dry, itchy, and irritated. I'm not sure I would trust it in my reef if I was trying to raise PO4. Just my two cents.

That's likely from the higher pH of trisodium phosphate, which is around 11.5-12.5, depending on how you make it up. That doesn't imply it is less desirable in a reef tank since you hardly add any.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top