DIY 120gal Tank Stand w/ Bar top

Kobadinsky

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
99
Reaction score
80
Location
Allegan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I would like to do a tank stand with a bar top. We are wondering if this stand looks good or if I need to adjust the frame of the structure. Any input would be great. I would do the testing in my software, but I unfortunately don't have that. The top represents the tank and the blue in the frame is our sump.

Thank you in advance!

image009.png image008.png image005.png image004.png image003.png image002.png image001.png
 
nice idea
 
The back beam running the length of the tank, and the 3 beams across the center are supporting all load via the screws. None of that load is being correctly transferred to the floor. Also, it looks like the sump is sitting directly on the floor, so I hope that is level/flat. I would not trust this design to support a tank of that size, even without the counter (which should have some type of knee bracing).
 
More info needed, but concept is good. What wood dimensions? I built my 120 gallon stand using 2 x 6 for the horizontal members and sistered and staggered 2 x 4s (so the 2 x 6 rails sit on top of one of the 2 x 4) for the legs. I double decked the stand so the sump would fit beneath the DT but sit above the floor. Only the 4 legs touch the floor, easier to shim for level.

I do not have a "bar" because I need to get closer to the tank to maintain and since the tank sits against a wall.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top