DIY acrylic tank building guidelines on thickness/bracing?

I am planning to build and acrylic sump for my 300 gallon DT

I was planning on a 125 gallon sump. I also want to make a frag
and possible QT tank if I have enough acrylic left.

Are their guidelines somewhere on how thick I need to buy for x wall height?
Or is it the total amount of gallons? Both of these tanks will be pretty low..less
then 20" tops but I'd love to be able to build bigger tanks if this works out.

At what point do I need to add bracing? When is a full sheet brace called for or
is euro style with an open center doable?

I'd love to hear from some experienced folks.

Read from this thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acrylic-fabrication-q-a.224773/page-64#post-4940120
 
I just need to know how thick I need for 1300 gallon acrylic.
 
What is the max length I can go without bracing for an acrylic tank? Will not be having fishes in it. Will keep hamsters in it. Am looking at 100 x 50 x 50cm with 5mm thickness. Can it last without bracing?
 
1300 gallons is probably going to be 1.75 or 2 inch based on this one that I found from someone I trust.

800 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium
120"L x 48"W x 36"H
The true length of this aquarium can vary from 119" to 120" due to the acrylic sheet manufacturing.
Acrylic Thickness: 1 1/2" all sides, 1" top and bottom
Weight unfilled: approximately 1,017 lbs tank only
Overflow(s): Two
 
What dimensions do you want?? That will determine thickness... No calculators will work it's all experience..;)
im building a koi pond with acrylic windows x 3, the size of the windows are 2m x 1x and the acrylic will be supported all round. the windows will be placed right at the top of the koi pond, will 12mm acrylic suffice?
 
What width eurobrace on top for 36 L x 21W x 13H using 1/2 cast acrylic?

Would 2 inches on all four sides be sufficient?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top