DIY - Sump/refugium for 55 Gallon tall - Questions???

slugwall

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 23, 2012
Messages
443
Reaction score
6
Location
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R's
I am getting ready to go to the next level from my 20gal tall saltwater reef only and convert my fresh water 55 gal 48" long to a saltwater reef only.
I would like to setup a refugium and I have seen alot of plans for live rock and sand filtration on the internet.
my question:

What would I need for pump? Links please...
Size of the refuguim? I have a 20 gal tall and a 10gal...
Should I heat and light the refugium?
The design will eventually encorporate a skimmer to be used as well...


Thank you for taking the time to help me out...
 
On my 55g I used a plastic storage container with a mag 5 return pump, pvc rigid plumbing and a comercial two box hob overflow.

I recommend you research pvc overflows and build one. and to use a mag 7 for return pump.

Plus a wall mart plastic storage container for a refugium draining into a smaller container for the sump.

my .02
 
I have been researching and I didn't like the HOB Overflow that looked combersome and unattractive to a non-drilled tank.
I looked a little bit and found this ... DIY Overflow Pipe.Take Two - YouTube

This is one nice setup and what a tutorial on what was done without an HOB... much more attractive to the main tank too.

How big was your storage container?

Thanks for the information...

I hope what I linked is not a rule breaker...
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top