Do fish get “routine” illnesses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JayM
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 8, 2023
Messages
1,222
Reaction score
1,594
Location
Inland Empire
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Routine” may not be the best descriptor, but it’s all I got. I’m thinking in human terms. We’ll get a cold or the flu and be out of sorts for a few days, but medical intervention isn’t necessary (usually) and it’s not anything life threatening (usually).

Do fish suffer from such ailments?

The reason I ask is that I had my Flame Hawkfish die the other day for no apparent reason, and a few other fish had been a little “off” for a day or two just previous and just after losing the Hawkfish. Nothing dramatic or overly worrisome. Hiding more often and for longer periods than usual, skipping a meal or two or eating at every feeding, but not quite as voraciously as usual. No abnormal physical appearances, no flashing, no unusual swimming or breathing behavior, just “off” a bit.

Other than a PO4 spike up to .5 from .1X and NH3 at .6 (may or may not have been an actual spike with either due to different testers - but that’s another thread for another time) and about a 2° increase in water temp all parameters are normal for my tank and stable.

I think I’ve gone far enough off the rails from my initial question, but thanks in advance for info and or thoughts about “routine” fish illnesses.
 
To place
“Routine” may not be the best descriptor, but it’s all I got. I’m thinking in human terms. We’ll get a cold or the flu and be out of sorts for a few days, but medical intervention isn’t necessary (usually) and it’s not anything life threatening (usually).

Do fish suffer from such ailments?

The reason I ask is that I had my Flame Hawkfish die the other day for no apparent reason, and a few other fish had been a little “off” for a day or two just previous and just after losing the Hawkfish. Nothing dramatic or overly worrisome. Hiding more often and for longer periods than usual, skipping a meal or two or eating at every feeding, but not quite as voraciously as usual. No abnormal physical appearances, no flashing, no unusual swimming or breathing behavior, just “off” a bit.

Other than a PO4 spike up to .5 from .1X and NH3 at .6 (may or may not have been an actual spike with either due to different testers - but that’s another thread for another time) and about a 2° increase in water temp all parameters are normal for my tank and stable.

I think I’ve gone far enough off the rails from my initial question, but thanks in advance for info and or thoughts about “routine” fish illnesses.
To place it in better terms, fish are Prone or susceptible to certain diseases. In many cases when stressed, their immunity system can weaken allowing a given condition to take place.
A high percentile of times, fish will get ich, flukes etc from another introduction or tank mate for which quarantine is recommended
 
There are fish viruses, lymphocystis is one thats not too uncommon and I don't believe its too lethal. I don't think we often deal with fish "colds" because we aren't exposing our tanks to many fish per day in the same way humans travel, interact, and spread illnesses. Lots of conditions aren't quite as dangerous or may not even present themselves on an otherwise well fed, healthy, and relaxed fish. Give them a stress event and they'll become more susceptible to what is available to ail them.

I know ammonia toxicity and all is based on the ph and a thousand other factors, but isn't a 0.6ppm reading of ammonia in the danger zone? A 2 degree temperature change isn't a likely culprit, but I've had fish get irritated by a 2 degree temperature increase over a 12 or so hour period.

Have you added anything new recently?
 
Fish die of things unrelated to parasites and/or the normal infections we 'know' about. So - for example - a fish might get kidney disease, or liver disease, or cancer. If thats what you were meaning?
 
“Routine” may not be the best descriptor, but it’s all I got. I’m thinking in human terms. We’ll get a cold or the flu and be out of sorts for a few days, but medical intervention isn’t necessary (usually) and it’s not anything life threatening (usually).

Do fish suffer from such ailments?

The reason I ask is that I had my Flame Hawkfish die the other day for no apparent reason, and a few other fish had been a little “off” for a day or two just previous and just after losing the Hawkfish. Nothing dramatic or overly worrisome. Hiding more often and for longer periods than usual, skipping a meal or two or eating at every feeding, but not quite as voraciously as usual. No abnormal physical appearances, no flashing, no unusual swimming or breathing behavior, just “off” a bit.

Other than a PO4 spike up to .5 from .1X and NH3 at .6 (may or may not have been an actual spike with either due to different testers - but that’s another thread for another time) and about a 2° increase in water temp all parameters are normal for my tank and stable.

I think I’ve gone far enough off the rails from my initial question, but thanks in advance for info and or thoughts about “routine” fish illnesses.

Other than lymphocystis, and the Banggai cardinal virus, viral diseases of aquarium fish are not well known - but it is presumed that at least some of these aren't fatal and will cause a fish to just be "off" for a bit.

Flukes can linger on fish for months/years without being fatal, but usually only in very large tanks.

External parasites all seem to get out of control in smaller tanks and cause fatalities, where the same disease in the wild would hardly be noticed. The reason is called "propagule pressure", where in the confines of an aquarium, the parasites have a very easy time of finding a fish to reinfect.
 
Fish die of things unrelated to parasites and/or the normal infections we 'know' about. So - for example - a fish might get kidney disease, or liver disease, or cancer. If thats what you were meaning?
No. I was thinking much more mild afflictions. Sick enough for a noticeable behavior change, but not something that would cause death or need treatment.
 
No. I was thinking much more mild afflictions. Sick enough for a noticeable behavior change, but not something that would cause death or need treatment.
It would seem logical that they would...
 
I think parasites and bacterial infection will not return unless it is introduced by an external mean again into the fish tank, but fish would still get sick when they are stressed even in a clean & established tank and the stress will make them sick, especially the salt water environment isn’t forgiving. I don’t think we understand enough about what these stress induced aliments are and how to treat it assuming there is a way other than removing the stressing element.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top