Do I need to throw away this batch of water?

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 21, 2019
Messages
67
Reaction score
95
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going about my normal weekly routine of mixing a batch of salt water in a 50 gallon brute trash can and heard a crackling noise coming from the container. I inspected the Fluval glass heater I was using and found that it had cracked. I removed it and replaced it with a new one. My question is, do I need to toss the container of water or is it okay to use? I have never had this happen before so I just want to make sure that the damaged heater wouldn't have leaked anything into the water. Maybe a dumb question but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for any input.
 
I would absolutely toss the water. When heaters crack, you could have heavy metals and other nasty contaminants in the water.
I know 50g is a lot to just toss, but its not worth using IMO

Absolutely I agree with this, better to be safe than sorry
 
I know its hard to pour money down the drain, you're making the right decision though :cool:
Yep. My wife wasn't too pleased. But it's not worth risking the health of my tank. As we all know, a ton of time, money and care goes into this hobby (when it's done correctly).
 
Yep. My wife wasn't too pleased. But it's not worth risking the health of my tank. As we all know, a ton of time, money and care goes into this hobby (when it's done correctly).
You did the right thing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top