Do people still trade corals in this hobby?

Are you interested in TRADING corals or other livestock with fellow reefers?

  • YES

    Votes: 266 73.7%
  • NO

    Votes: 34 9.4%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 55 15.2%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 6 1.7%

  • Total voters
    361

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
49,253
Reaction score
98,071
Seller Rating
4 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're continuing our discussion of peer to peer, reefer to reefer, buying, selling and trading discussion this week with today's focus on TRADING CORALS! Trading corals used to be pretty big in the hobby, back in the earlier days. Maybe it was because there hadn't been an influx on online coral retailers like there is today and many corals were not readily available? Or maybe there is a lot of trading going on that I don't know about! Let's discuss it!

Have you ever traded corals or livestock with anyone and if so when is the last time you've traded?

do you trade coral fish reef2reef.png
 
No but I should.
Main reason for me is I prefer colonies over frags
 
I do not usually trade, as have no room. But I do give away tons of stuff to local reefers, as I always have some left over when I thin the herd and fill up the local LFS for store credit (food, salt, other dry goods) lol.
 
Yes, I just received a delivery of frags yesterday, consisting of a Bali Green Slimer, Montipora Setosa and a couple of Golden Pavona maldivensis frags. The pavona's were especially of interest, as none of the shops in my country seems to carry them these days. :)
 
Excluding the lovely couple I just bought a tank from. So far I have only bought things from those leaving the hobby. Yes…I am a scavenger…;)

That and I have nothing to trade just yet. I would certainly consider trading once my tank begins progressing.
 
I don’t currently - All I have are frags currently however once I get HUGE colonies I will begin to trade them in for others.
 
Absolutely! I feel like I'm doing the YouTube challenge where they try to trade a can of soup all the way up to a house through multiple trades... Of course I've only been in the hobby a few months, but I will continue to upgrade and frag when and where I can.
 
I have seen people offer trades, but then people start doing market value comparisons on how much they could, in theory, sell it for then start making the trading process unduly complicated and messy by making sure the 'market value' of what is received is in excess of that given. In that case, i stopped trying to play those games and just flat out buy and be done with it.
 
I don’t currently - All I have are frags currently however once I get HUGE colonies I will begin to trade them in for others.
Now that I think of it I can start fragging mushrooms but let’s be real, if I’m trying to get rid of ricordea yuma then whose going to want it. Besides, don’t think that jaws would be impressed.
8E9504F4-D82A-4C8B-ACBE-9AD016325A78.jpeg
 
I built much of my zoa collection, at least early on, through trades. I've meet a ton of great people and have been able to network and get interesting or unique frags the same way. Now I'm adding sps for my display and it's going swimmingly.

While it's nice to have folding cash in your pocket at the end of the day it's a win-win when no one has to open their wallet. Perhaps, not surprisingly, I've probably gotten more stuff in trade from remote folks vs locals (but still a lot all around).

Trades are an all around great way to build your network, meet new people, see new systems and learn about things that are (or aren't) working for other hobbyists.... and it's the best way to backup your stuff if you have unique or rare one-off strains.

(In short hit me up, I've got a post in the trade forum now).
 
Last edited:
I have seen people offer trades, but then people start doing market value comparisons on how much they could, in theory, sell it for then start making the trading process unduly complicated and messy by making sure the 'market value' of what is received is in excess of that given. In that case, i stopped trying to play those games and just flat out buy and be done with it.
This. It's great when fellow hobbyists want to trade, but people who want to make money need to just sell and stop playing these games.
 
I have seen people offer trades, but then people start doing market value comparisons on how much they could, in theory, sell it for then start making the trading process unduly complicated and messy by making sure the 'market value' of what is received is in excess of that given. In that case, i stopped trying to play those games and just flat out buy and be done with it.
I’ve never understood why people do these games but it is definitely one of the things that stops me from trading coral as I don’t think anyone would really want to trade a “stick” for a mushroom or softie sue to how common and invasive they can be.
 
I’ve never understood why people do these games but it is definitely one of the things that stops me from trading coral as I don’t think anyone would really want to trade a “stick” for a mushroom or softie sue to how common and invasive they can be.
If you were in the US or I was in England, I would trade you some acros for some shrooms lol. Those would look great in my display fuge and be a great contrast to the macros.
 
I tend not to trade because I find my self getting the short end of the stick far to often. Though I'm always willing to entertain offers. People still trade but I usually reserve it to people I know.

Tons of people would love one of these. I always just called them red/orange yuma but people generally sell them as "king kong yuma" there worth several hundred at a large size. Just sayin:)
 
I tend not to trade because I find my self getting the short end of the stick far to often. Though I'm always willing to entertain offers. People still trade but I usually reserve it to people I know.
I kind of go into it with the mentality that I'm not going to "win" in the trade. For me, it's been a way to clear up space in my tank while also adding a bit more variety without touching my wallet. Most of what I trade, I'd probably end up selling for short money or giving away anyway (it's not fancy stuff), so the fact that I'm getting anything in return is a win itself.

Less often, I'll trade something higher end. But usually that's with people I know.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top