Do you have a chalice only dedicated tank? What's your parameters?

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
3,618
Reaction score
16
Location
Pitcairn Island
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
recently lost a $$$$$ crazy rainbow Trachy, and my widowmaker mother colony receded till skeleton shows. so has my other chalices. I'm thinking of setting up a 10G cube just for chalices only. If you have a tank strictly for chalices and your chalices are very healthy and colored up could you post here your parameters, feeding, lighting etc..etc..? thanks Appreciate it.
 
I'm trying to do a chalice only tank, tagging on if you don't mind. I'm curious to lighting, I have a nice diy led setup, I think the lights will be turned down a lot
 
thanks bro. no prob. i don't think anyone ever threw up info on specifics/params.
 
I have a small 40g dedicated to chalices, using compact blue with a 250 w halide. Its all plumbed into my main system of 400gallons
 
thanks Bill, could you provide your calcium, magnesium, alk levels? i'm just trying to nail down whats going on. I just added GFO and have been using 1/3 the recommended amount thru BRS so i don't think it's the gfo...or could it......
 
SURE,

Calc - 480
Mag - 1280
Alk - 8.9 - 9.1
temp 78.5
salinity - 1.026
Nitrate-0
Phos - 0
Iodide 0.02
 
thanks again Bill.i'll check my params when i get home from work. 1 thing i suspect is that my alk dipped and so did my mag.
 
do you use a calcium reactor, if so get some zeo mag to add to your reactor, it will keep your mag stable, try to keep your alk at 8.5-9. My corals do good at that range
 
Mine
Alk 9.5dkh
Ca 480ppm
Mag 1400ppm
n03 0ppm
p04 0.25ppm
temp 76-78
I killed a hollywood stunner with these params stable, I'm going to look into a iodine kit
 
I have found that chalice really like Magnesium and a stable Alk. I was having alot of issues at my store with chalice until I raised the Mag up and made a world of difference. Most dont like intense lighting I usually shade most of them.
 
another thing to remember is even if you see a dead coral leave it, and check it for a little while, I thought I lost a few peices when I Had a Liter Meter issue, they were all skeleton but I left them and now they have eyes growing
 
yeah definitely skeletons in the closet(tank) for sure. thanks for all the sharing of info guys. appreicate! now to get home and see.......
 
I left my hollywood stunner in the tank under a monti cap, it never fully died.... I need to spot feed i think, when is the best time to spot feed?
 
probably an hour after lights out. turn off all pumps and use a coralife small aquarium baster. put the mysis or whatever you wanna feed in a bowl with some tank water suck it up and slowly squirt it down one of those straight clear plastic tubes. you can use that to put the food right on the mouths easily.
 
go for it. you might have to trim the end of the coralife aquarium baster to be able to suck up bigger pieces and make sure you get an at least 1/2 in diameter tubing. if its too small it'll clog up.
 
I had a Elos mini with alot of chalice. I lost a bunch of them from alk swings. I think the smaller the tank the harder to kee chalice because of swings. Since I upgraded to a 75 gallon my chalice always look good. I think stability is key.
 
i agree. i haven't changed my dosing schedule and the only thing changed was me adding GFO and CARBON reactor so i'm assuming it was that.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top