Do you stick your hands in your reef tank?

Do you stick your hands in your reef tank

  • Yes

    Votes: 423 79.5%
  • No

    Votes: 18 3.4%
  • Sometimes

    Votes: 91 17.1%

  • Total voters
    532
I think it’s fine as long as you wash your hands beforehand. Fish stores have their hands in those tanks getting corals pretty much all day everyday and they are fine. Their water volumes are typically much greater than most peoples home aquariums, but they are also in them a lot more than most people.
 
I had to say yes, because in reality I do put my hands in the tank and even without gloves. Actually I have long grabbers etc and if I used my brain first, I would keep my hands out unless fully gloved, but instead I usually just reach right in.
Bristleworms and electric shock aren't enough for me to stop and think, so I don't know what will be.
So yes I do, but you shouldn't and I know better.
 
I try not to. But when I do I wash and dry my hands and arms at least twice before putting them in the tank, just hot water no soap. I do see better growth when I haven’t been in the tank for anything in a few days. I wear the big gloves if I’m working with liverock or palys.
My protocol as well.
 
I think it’s fine as long as you wash your hands beforehand. Fish stores have their hands in those tanks getting corals pretty much all day everyday and they are fine. Their water volumes are typically much greater than most peoples home aquariums, but they are also in them a lot more than most people.
And their livestock/corals are short term visitors. Just a thought.
 
I think its inevitable to some degree. I definitely try to minimize, use tools whenever possible. I do a lot of mechanic work so oil and chemicals are always a concern. Lots of hand scrubbing at work, plus a good RODI hand rinse before I do anything tank related
 
I’ve never put my bare hands in any of my tanks ever, I always wear gloves
 
Not without gloves on. 1) I don't want to risk touch a bristle worm or an Aiptasia anemone. 2) I don't want to risk getting an infection in an open wound or anything like that. 3) Lastly, and most importantly, I don't want that &!%@# Clownfish to be biting me!! That $#!% hurts!!
 
I use long forceps and wear an arm length nitrile glove. I noticed a repeatable pattern any time I placed my bare hand in the tank the Alk consumption would stall for a day or two.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top