Do you turn on the light when you first cycle the tank?

CyberGuy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2011
Messages
422
Reaction score
254
Location
San Diego, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you turn on your lights when you cycle your tank? If so, how many hours and what spectrum and intensity do you use?

Thanks.
 
No. Leave it off for as long as possible. You will get algae. You can have fish without the light. Coral is what requires light.

The longer you leave it off, the more the "good" things will propagate surfaces and out compete algae.

When I cycled my last aquarium I left if off for a good 6 weeks or more. I never had GHA, but I had dyno/cyano that went away with some assistance.

I'm about to start my desktop nano and will probably be two months.

It's probably not the answer you want, but this hobby is about patience and long term goals.
 
How many of you turn on your lights when you cycle your tank? If so, how many hours and what spectrum and intensity do you use?

Thanks.
I did not. From what I’ve read/asked on here before, people say to leave the lights off to delay any algae growth
 
Leave the lights off during the cycle. As soon as these lights comes on, the algae starts.
 
When you decide to use lights start off with the blues for a while first.
 
I started my cycle 3 months ago... still no lights. Hoping I can mitigate the ugly phase by taking my time.
 
I just cycled my tank with the lights on and I had bad green hair algae. I had to take out some rocks and scrub them. Things have stabilized now, so it's all good. For the next few weeks I have mostly blues. GHA looks UGLY!
 
I did on last couple tanks.

Figured, why not get it out of the way. First creatures were sea urchins and a tooth brush.
No issue since and was able to add a lot of life right away without fighting nuisance algae.
(Did get a bout of dino, but dry rock and no nutrients played that roll).
 
I guess I will try to not turn on the lights. Hopefully using nitrifying bacteria such as Fritzyme turbo 700 and MicroBacter XLM will let me turn on the light in about 2 weeks.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top