Doctors issue warning about the use of LED's

That's what stuck out to me also. I also noted that also includes the more dangerous UV led or any UV light for that mater.

Well...Other than Kessil, I cannot think of any aquarium LED fixutres that actually include UV in their spectrum. So if thats your concern, and you're not a kessil owner, you're good.
 
Well...Other than Kessil, I cannot think of any aquarium LED fixutres that actually include UV in their spectrum. So if thats your concern, and you're not a kessil owner, you're good.

Radion Gen3 have 4 10w UV diodes 401nm
Radion Gen3 Pro same.
Radion XR15w have 2 5w diodes.
 
Anything above 400 nm is actually violet. That's just zippy word choice they use. I am now seeing that SB Reef LEDs actually includes some 395 nm true UV diodes as well as Orphek. So there's 3. So I do stand corrected there
 
On a related token, there has been some articles recently, stating that being exposed blue and white lights a few hours before bed, will affect sleeping.
any nice tank to stare at night will affect sleeping :D
I look at my tank for hours and then I can't sleep thinking of corals
 
Anyone see this artical on CNN? http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/health/led-streetlights-ama/index.html

Very interesting and has me thinking that I need to get rid of my LED lights over the tank because I do have small children that can look directly at the leds. Better safe then sorry.

Going to go T5
News places like CNN tend to "make news." So most, if not all of their news only has an element of truth in it. They're not trying to lie, but they ARE trying to make something otherwise uninteresting newsworthy.

What they're talking about has nothing to do specifically with LEDs, but rather a particular brand or mix of LED lights used to produce white street lights. And guess what? Everything they say could easily be true for some T5's too.
 
This is well researched so far. Blue light from led's messes with circadian rhythm, prevents ocular regeneration, I'm sure the list goes on.
It's a big deal with led/lcd monitors. Even to the point where new monitors come with a blue filter functionality.

Get some computer glasses and look at your tank, you'll be amazed at the difference.

This makes me think about 3d TV's/movies as well. They've been found to stunt development of depth perception in children. It also affects adults but to a lesser degree.

My buddy got a HTC Vive, he said after playing a few hours the next few days he definitely felt weird. His brother said after he played it for a few hours too, "I was so messed up for a couple days".

I suspect we're only starting to discover the amount of interaction from artificial light with our physiology let alone different organisms.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top