Does a 10G coral QT need testing for Alk/Calcium?

Muffin87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
465
Reaction score
293
Location
Italy / UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral QT got its glass a bit scratched up, so I'm thinking of making into a fish QT. I'd like to replace it with a Waterbox 10G, but I'm unsure.
Is a coral quarantine tank that small gonna need weekly testing for Alk and such, even if it has only a few corals in it?

Thanks!
 
My coral QT got its glass a bit scratched up, so I'm thinking of making into a fish QT. I'd like to replace it with a Waterbox 10G, but I'm unsure.
Is a coral quarantine tank that small gonna need weekly testing for Alk and such, even if it has only a few corals in it?

Thanks!
It should be the same levels as your primary tank so when you move stuff over they acclimate well and don't go into shock
 
It should be the same levels as your primary tank so when you move stuff over they acclimate well and don't go into shock
That's fine. I just don't want to have to test the water weekly because, even if it has only a few corals in it, the water volume is small.

I assume others will have a 10G coral QT and can chime in.
 
That's fine. I just don't want to have to test the water weekly because, even if it has only a few corals in it, the water volume is small.

I assume others will have a 10G coral QT and can chime in.
Corals in there for about 2 weeks or maybe 30 days? I would only check alk every week. Are you going to broadcast feed them maybe once a week? Water change once a month?
 
I have a standard 10g coral QT tank, and I rarely test the water. However, I change about 50% of the water with water from my DT every week so it stays pretty close to my DT's parameters. Seems to work for me, but your mileage may vary.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top