Does anyone else have a pistol shrimp, curly que anemone pair?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vlangel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2014
Messages
5,794
Reaction score
6,055
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey invert lovers, I ordered a pistol shrimp and it came with a curly que anemone. I didn't even know what a curly que anemone was so I did some reading up on it. At first I was horrified because they are actually related to aiptasia anemones and they can reproduce. They not only sting but can eat small fish and shrimp! However mine seems to be a model citizen thus far and its very cute with the pistol shrimp in amongst its tentacles. I am becoming very fond of it. Just wonder who else had one.
 
You bet. I named the pistol shrimp, the Sheriff. I guess the curly que is like his saloon, haha! The first pic is before I put them in the tank and was acclimating them.
 

Attachments

  • 100_8374.jpg
    100_8374.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_8184.jpg
    100_8184.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 299
  • 100_8231.jpg
    100_8231.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 254
From my research it seems it happens when they are too well fed. They should only be fed 2-3 times a week. I don't know if they split like other nems???
 
Very kewl Angel! Thanks for the photos! I didnt know the two hung out together. I just thought it was gobies and pistols. Awesomeness!
 
Very kewl Angel! Thanks for the photos! I didnt know the two hung out together. I just thought it was gobies and pistols. Awesomeness!

I actually bought the pistol for a yasha goby I had. So when the shrimp and nem arrived I put the shrimp on the same side of the tank as the goby was and I put the nem on the opposite side. Well the shrimp scuttled under the rock work and I didn't see it for about 3-4 days. Then one morning I looked in the tank to see the pistol shrimp as snug as a bug in a rug with the nem. I guess they weren't going to be broke up which is kind of cute.
 
That is neat! Did you order the anemone with the shrimp or did the supplier just send it to you? What a surprise if it was free!
 
That is neat! Did you order the anemone with the shrimp or did the supplier just send it to you? What a surprise if it was free!

Yes, the supplier just sent the anemone with the shrimp so it was free. He told us that the anemone came with it so I knew to watch for it but I didn't know anything about them. So its turn out to be a cool surprise in that way.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top