Does salt get on other stuff in the aquarium room?

Swingline77

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
348
Reaction score
129
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank, and am wondering about whether I'd be getting a fine layer of salt over everything in the same room as the tank. I've read that people get salt creep on lights 8" above a tank surface, and that salt travels through the air twenty miles from the ocean.

So, I'm guessing that anything of value in the tank room will eventually be covered in a thin film of salt. Of course, this might be no more than the salt that's deposited by touching things with my hands.

Any thoughts?
 
It happens. You're right. But you don't even want salt from your hands getting on things around the house. It gets sticky and actually draws moisture to wherever it is, which causes it to self-spread. AWESOME! :D

Minimize the amount of surface disturbance and/or run a covered tank if this is a big worry.
 
I've looked into this a bit. I think I might cover the aquarium and circulate air to/from outside. Added advantages might be exposing the water to air with lower levels of CO2 than those found indoors, and cooling the aquarium with blown air.
 
My sump is in my basement....and RUSTED out my Furance ($4k) and my water heater ($600).

I've since employed my stepfather and we hand built walls around the sump making a small sumproom. Now AIRTIGHT bc the door to enter the sump room has serious negative air pressure upon opening it.


.
 
I don't have a problem but I wipe down my tank and everything connect to it anytime I start to see salt.
 
It can be greatly reduced by running a BeanAnimal overflow (to eliminate bubble from the drain) and setting up your sump to minimize splashing, as well as by covering the sump with acrylic or glass lids.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top