Does this mean my green hair algae is dying?

SamAPFish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
174
Reaction score
43
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures. It’s after 1 week of vibrant and getting an ai prime. The tips are turning grey. Is it dying?

image.jpg
 
This is a good indicator of it working. Just keep it up. Will take weeks if not months.
 
This is a good indicator of it working.
That’s good, but the main reason I’m dosing vibrant is for bubble algae so I hope that clears up just like the hair algae. Is bubble algae harder to remove with vibrant?
 
Yes it will take quite a bit longer I’m afraid but will work eventually. Stick to the instructions perfectly.
 
Yes it will take quite a bit longer I’m afraid but will work eventually. Stick to the instructions perfectly.
Ok, I’ve noticed my phosphates have spiked to 0.25 according to an api phosphate kit. Does that seem correct as that’s awfully high. Does it have to do with the algae dying?
 
Yes your algae has been consuming phosphates and probably giving low readings. This is pretty normal in my experience. Do you run phosphate remover at all? I use rowaphos in a reactor and it is the best I’ve tried. If battling algae in general it means your phosphates have been too high to begin with. Don’t feel beaten though it’s easily fixed and vibrant will help. Need to tackle the reason for your outbreak and high phosphates however.
 
Sounds like you're getting results. Bravo! I would remove as much as you can manually. As the algae dies, it will release nitrates and phosphates back into the tank.
 
Yes your algae has been consuming phosphates and probably giving low readings. This is pretty normal in my experience. Do you run phosphate remover at all? I use rowaphos in a reactor and it is the best I’ve tried. If battling algae in general it means your phosphates have been too high to begin with. Don’t feel beaten though it’s easily fixed and vibrant will help. Need to tackle the reason for your outbreak and high phosphates however.
It could be that I have never had a protein skimmer until today when I picked one up. Now that I have one hopefully I can bring the phosphates down. Also no I don’t run phosphate remover because I don’t have a reactor
 
Sounds like you're getting results. Bravo! I would remove as much as you can manually. As the algae dies, it will release nitrates and phosphates back into the tank.
That makes sense. I’ll try to remove as much as I can then.
 
You don’t need a reactor to be honest you could dose some phosphate removers manually Instead. Best to work out what it is that’s causing it however trying lowering your lights power a little, cutting down on lighting schedule, cutting down on feeding a bit and keeping up with regular water changes with nice clean ro water etc.
 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top