Donut delight! Have you kept a scoly?

Have you kept a scoly?

  • I currently have a scoly.

    Votes: 81 28.9%
  • I have kept a scoly in the past.

    Votes: 36 12.9%
  • I have not, but I plan to keep a scoly in the future.

    Votes: 106 37.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a scoly.

    Votes: 51 18.2%
  • Other.

    Votes: 6 2.1%

  • Total voters
    280
At this moment I can not. I have a Passer angel and a scribble angle in QT. Passer angel has never gone after my corals. Fingers crossed. In this picture he is right in front center.
1706037952415.png
 
I waited a long time to get one, but my first was this little warpaint. It wasn’t much bigger than a frag plug when I got it. It changed colors and got some pretty light blue streaks through it, and then it beefed up.

The first photo is the day it arrived. The second is after it developed some nice color. And the third is a recent photo showing size, with a large pitho crab for reference.

IMG_3605.jpeg

IMG_1076.jpeg

IMG_8813.jpeg


Edit: I have had this about a year and a half. Feed it heavily, about 2-3 times a week with reef frenzy, mysis, etc.
 
Had a scoly.the one in my profile actually.found him in a sleepy branch of Maidenhead aquatics at a bargain price(well, for a big scoly) regular spot feeding & low light perched on the edge of lower rock kept him nice & puffy but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse & in these trying financial times off he went.ill definitely have another one day
 
I LOVE Scolys, probably my all-time favorite corals. The problem with Scolys is two-fold - 1) they are expensive and that makes losing one even more painful and 2) they are some of the harder corals, imho, to gauge "happiness" and will go from looking great and everything seeming fine to sluffing off flesh in a run-away death-slide in a matter of hours. And once they start that death-slide, I've never been able to bring one back. I've kept them alive for several months but they never returned to full health and eventually died leaving behind a skeleton.
 
I love my scoly.
 

Attachments

  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 47
i've kept them previously with little success (alk swings), but do plan on keeping them again in the future.
Interesting - in my experience, once they acclimate from the wild they are surprisingly tough and rebound quite fast from STN. My oldest scoly has been through all sorts of ups and downs and is looking bigger than ever
 
Can anyone speak to any aggressiveness towards other corals that you’ve experienced?
 
2 More pics of the Warpaint from my earlier post

And my newest which is an Aussie fluorescent orange. It’s the color of the Warpaint highlights.
 

Attachments

  • DB98767B-A637-4D79-BD02-8660A6147538.jpeg
    DB98767B-A637-4D79-BD02-8660A6147538.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 90FE1B99-0A30-427D-9F7E-CE94ACD218A4.jpeg
    90FE1B99-0A30-427D-9F7E-CE94ACD218A4.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 30
  • 57865E50-B090-4FD3-81BD-BDD2841267F4.jpeg
    57865E50-B090-4FD3-81BD-BDD2841267F4.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 30
LPS tank and scolys are the main corals. I’ve lost a few very expensive ones, no reason why. My P04 and N03 are low, latest check was .03 and 1.34… not chasing numbers just watching the corals.
IMG_1755.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top