Dosing alot of ca and alk?

Gman6766

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 30, 2016
Messages
49
Reaction score
33
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a little input here. I feel like i am having to dose alot for a tank that only has a handfull of frags in it. In order to mantain ca at 430, and alk at 8.5 i am having to dose 159ml of ca (b-ionic) and 180ml of alk (b-ionic) daily. My system total water volume is about 330 gallons, there is a 240 and a 90 plumbed together into the same sump. Wasn't sure if something is happening that I can't see or if just the product. I was thinking of switching product. I ordered some BRS 2 part to see if any difference. What do you guys think? What do you dose? How much? And what is your water volume?
 
Last edited:
Way, way too much if we're only talking about a handful of frags.

On my 200-gallon system (no water changes, so my alkalinity, magnesium and calcium dosing is higher) I dose ~80ml of alkalinity and ~20ml of calcium daily.

Mixed reef with some large SPS acros and plates.
 
Looking for a little input here. I feel like i am having to dose alot for a tank that only has a handfull of frags in it. In order to mantain ca at 430, and alk at 8.5 i am having to dose 159ml of ca (b-ionic) and 180ml of alk (b-ionic) daily. My system total water volume is about 330 gallons, there is a 240 and a 90 plumbed together into the same sump. Wasn't sure if something is happening that I can't see or if just the product. I was thinking of switching product. I ordered some BRS 2 part to see if any difference. What do you guys think? What do you dose? How much? And what is your water volume?
How old is the tank?

In a new tank you may find that the sand is clumping which can be using up both Alkalinity and Calcium.
 
How old is the tank?

In a new tank you may find that the sand is clumping which can be using up both Alkalinity and Calcium.
The tank has been up since January 2023. And I did notice some sand clumping/hard. I had stopped dosing untill I saw it stop getting worse and then broke it all up. And then started dosing again. Need to replace sand?
 
Gotta ask, are you dosing them at the same time? Are they dosed in a high flow section of the sump?

I would suspect precipitation first, and work your way down the list.
I have a trident dosing the tank I have cross checked calibration and numbers are matching within a few points
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top