Dosing Lanthanum Resulted in Dead Yellow Tang

I don’t know. If soluble lanthanum is the cause under some circumstances, those actions won’t help.
Assumed it was the particle caused after binding with phosphate causing the irritant to tangs and why the 5 micron. Didn’t consider the actual liquid dose being the concern.

Have any using 5 micron reported issues consistently? Seems most used 200 micron. Hard to remember everything and at some point gets convoluted.
 
Sorry to hear about your issue. Another method you can try to dose LC... I have found success dosing LC directly into the body of my skimmer. Never had an issue with fish, but the only tang I had was a Tomini Tang. I don't know if they are less susceptible to this issue than a yellow tang.
 
For those of you dosing LC how high is the phosphate levels you are trying to lower? I'm just curious. I have what many would consider high PO4 but have tangs that have been with me for 6-7 years and I just don't think it's worth the risk so I'm just rolling with the high PO4 for now.
 
For those of you dosing LC how high is the phosphate levels you are trying to lower? I'm just curious. I have what many would consider high PO4 but have tangs that have been with me for 6-7 years and I just don't think it's worth the risk so I'm just rolling with the high PO4 for now.
I was at 0.1 for a long time then it started to climb. The highest it got was 0.4 but was mostly around 0.25ish.
Using garf's method I'm now about 0.12
 
For those of you dosing LC how high is the phosphate levels you are trying to lower? I'm just curious. I have what many would consider high PO4 but have tangs that have been with me for 6-7 years and I just don't think it's worth the risk so I'm just rolling with the high PO4 for now.
I've dosed twice, took phos to .6 from 1 and .6 to .4 the second time. I probably wouldn't worry about much under .2.
 
10 micron sock, dead tang:

 
Smaller socks and still a problem:


FWIW - I dosed HIGHLY diluted 1 drop at a time into (3) cascaded filter socks 1 micron, .5, .5 changed daily and nearly killed my scopas tang… 3 different times over a 2 year experiment thinking I could get the dose low enough. The effects were cumulative. I am sure the ICP test would show 0. It all does get bound, but some of it apparently on the gills.
 
Smaller socks and still a problem:


FWIW - I dosed HIGHLY diluted 1 drop at a time into (3) cascaded filter socks 1 micron, .5, .5 changed daily and nearly killed my scopas tang… 3 different times over a 2 year experiment thinking I could get the dose low enough. The effects were cumulative. I am sure the ICP test would show 0. It all does get bound, but some of it apparently on the gills.
Read every post Bean made but not clear what exact source used. Since he referenced doing so since 2007 could be he used pool supply as likely the only source available then.

Could be based on others mentioning that pool source might have other additives and why you mentioned in solution. Perhaps key is getting lab grade LC only. Seems those having success tend to use that or at a minimum what's being mostly mentioned with success. Might also Explain why SeaKlear is yellow vs straight LC is clear.
 
Sorry to hear about your loss - that’s awful!

I have been using PhosphateRx for 3+ years without problems. I have yellow, purple, gem, blue, archilles tangs and have not had any issues. Recently I’ve dropped PO4 from 0.9+ to 0.18 in 3 days without any issues. I’ve dosed into filter socks or directly inside skimmer — guess I’ve been lucky?

Would love to find out the root cause to stop fish loss in this hobby. If not the socks, perhaps it’s the potency, pool grade vs reef grade? If that’s the thing…
 
For those of you dosing LC how high is the phosphate levels you are trying to lower? I'm just curious. I have what many would consider high PO4 but have tangs that have been with me for 6-7 years and I just don't think it's worth the risk so I'm just rolling with the high PO4 for now.

I wouldn't risk fish using lanthanum.
 
If not the socks, perhaps it’s the potency, pool grade vs reef grade? If that’s the thing…

I don't think I would characterize that as a potency issue, since one can dilute as much as you want, and dilution doesn't seem to prevent issues, but certainly the toxicity may come from one or more impurities that may be present in some sources and not others.
 
My experience, I’ve been dosing lc for 3 weeks now as I got fed up with high phosphate and running gfo and plummeting it to 0 so I set up agent green on a doser , I needed about 4ml on 1ml per 6 hours but it wasn’t accurate enough to stabilise po4 at 0.1< and at 3 ml would rise and 5 would 0 it so I dilluted it 50% with rodi and now have much tighter controllability
3 tangs , 13 other fish no problems, dosed into my skimmer body , then into filter wool packed in sump chamber , through caluerpa forest and into return so it’s unlikely it’s ever reaching the dt

Hope this helps anyone
 
I dosed LC several times during the first 6 months of my reef tank getting setup. The first two times I dosed the pure concentrated drops directly into a ReefMat chamber which has 200 micron fleece. Third time I did the same but I believe my mag was misaligned which allowed unfiltered water to get through. By the next morning my Yellow Tang was dead.

After that unfortunate incidence I got a new Yellow Tang. I have dosed LC twice by diluting the drops into a 400ml IV bag with RODI and dosing the diluted solution into a 5 micron sock with heavy flow from a manifold. No issues with that method.

Thankfully my tank stabilized and my phosphates got to more reasonable levels. Last time I used LC was over six months ago (my tank is almost a year old).

When I was dosing LC, I was trying to lower my phosphate by 0.25-0.50 ppm. My phosphate readings were anywhere from 0.50 - 1.00 ppm or higher.
 
I still dose LC whenever phosphate creeps up. 2 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tomini. No issues. I use filter pads, not socks. Dose in sump before filter pad and skimmer.
 
Just wanted to add my experience as well. Dosed half dose of Phosphate Rx into my 200 gallon system. The dose split over two days. 20 drops one day into skimmer neck and 25 drops the next day. Yellow tang struggling to breathe now.
 
Just wanted to add my experience as well. Dosed half dose of Phosphate Rx into my 200 gallon system. The dose split over two days. 20 drops one day into skimmer neck and 25 drops the next day. Yellow tang struggling to breathe now.
I hope your yellow tang can recover. I haven't had to dose lanthanum chloride recently but did another 3 administrations after my first yellow tang died and as my tank was going through the new tank uglies. I was much safer with those dosings: I diluted the lanthanum in 400ml of RODI and dripped into a 5 micron sock with heavy flow over the course of 24 hours. No issues with that approach.
 
Just wanted to add my experience as well. Dosed half dose of Phosphate Rx into my 200 gallon system. The dose split over two days. 20 drops one day into skimmer neck and 25 drops the next day. Yellow tang struggling to breathe now.

Sorry to hear that. :(
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top