Dosing Live Phytoplankton for a more Balanced Reef Tank Ecosystem?

I've long suspected that we are under-dosing, by a lot. Corals feed all day long, but in our tanks we are giving them a tiny spritz of food every day or every few days. Makes sense there wouldn't be some huge growth difference.

What if we fed all day long and constantly had phyto in suspension? Need some serious nutrient export, though.
Instead of all day feed, what about just using less filtration? This way there is more contact time in the water. Maybe just run a skimmer, no pads, no socks, no roller mat.
 
Instead of all day feed, what about just using less filtration? This way there is more contact time in the water. Maybe just run a skimmer, no pads, no socks, no roller mat.


I'm not sure how long phyto can survive while getting kicked around by a bunch of aquariums pumps. Definitely worth an experiment.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top