I rinsed the dry rock in the tub before I put it in the 5 gallon bucket, washing it until the water was clear.
The tank was cycled with a yellowtail damsel, she is happy and thriving, and I apologize to her and thank her 1x/day for the superb job she did, hoping one day she can forgive me. I was instructed to set up my tank using live sand, one piece of live rock, and a fish picked out specifically for ammonia production in the tank. I left the hobby in 2012, came back in 2022, and am 100% guilty of not doing proper research before I started back into it, figured I could just go back to the same place I was giving my business ten years ago. Was not a part of this forum until I started asking LFS questions, and wasn't liking the answers I was getting, so found this place

I know now that there are much more humane and delicate ways to accomplish this. Do your research, get a second opinion, and always ask questions on this forum, is what I have learned.