Drain flow rates over 16m - wanted around 14,000lph

Nossatron

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2021
Messages
42
Reaction score
62
Location
New Zealand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya team!

Im starting the planning stage of my 10ft aquarium (3000x800x800mm). Unfortunately due to local law I cannot place my plant room where I wanted (Too close to neighbour)

Because of this I will have to run pipes outside 16m. I can raise the aquarium so it will have a total head height (to ground) of about 1m maybe 1.5 if I really have to.

What size drain pipe do you guys recommend? Return pump is a 20,000lph av150. So would like to try be able to return this flow if required. Not necessary however

Note- sump inlet height is 1m also I believ (yet to arrive)

TIA for you help

Nossy
 
I have a bean drain and 2" works just fine for my Reeflo Hammerhead 5800 gph is prob around 20000 lph
 
What size holes are going to be drilled in the aquarium? That's going to be the limiting factor in most cases.
 
What size holes are going to be drilled in the aquarium? That's going to be the limiting factor in most cases.
So there's two smaller weirs at each back corner with a single hole. Each only had a single either 25mm or 32mm hole. I would double check but we've just been put back into lock down.

I could maybe look at a syphon style or external overflow box on one end? This would give me a little more head height too.

To compliment flow I also plan to have 3 closed loop Ecotech Vectra M2
 
Assume Gravity to Low Pressure. About 6 f/s flow velocity, also suction side of pumpAssume Average Pressure (20-100PSI). About 12 f/s flow velocityAssume "High Pressure" PEAK flow. About 18 f/s flow velocity
Pipe Size (Sch. 40)I.D. (range)O.D.GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
1/2"0.5 - 0.6"0.85"742014840211,260
3/4"0.75 - 0.85"1.06"11660231,410362,160
1"1 - 1.03"1.33"16960372,200583,480
1-1/4"1.25 - 1.36"1.67"251,500623,7501006,000
1-1/2"1.5 - 1.6"1.9"352,100814,8301267,560
2"1.95 - 2.05"2.38"553,3001277,65020012,000
2-1/2"2.35 - 2.45"2.89"804,80019011,40030018,000
3"2.9 - 3.05"3.5"1408,40027316,350425
 
Last edited:
Assume Gravity to Low Pressure. About 6 f/s flow velocity, also suction side of pumpAssume Average Pressure (20-100PSI). About 12 f/s flow velocityAssume "High Pressure" PEAK flow. About 18 f/s flow velocity
Pipe Size (Sch. 40)I.D. (range)O.D.GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPM
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
GPH
(w/ min. PSI loss & noise)
1/2"0.5 - 0.6"0.85"742014840211,260
3/4"0.75 - 0.85"1.06"11660231,410362,160
1"1 - 1.03"1.33"16960372,200583,480
1-1/4"1.25 - 1.36"1.67"251,500623,7501006,000
1-1/2"1.5 - 1.6"1.9"352,100814,8301267,560
2"1.95 - 2.05"2.38"553,3001277,65020012,000
2-1/2"2.35 - 2.45"2.89"804,80019011,40030018,000
3"2.9 - 3.05"3.5"1408,40027316,350425
Great Post!

I see I will be needing over a 2" pipe if I can even get the flow out of the aquarium. Assuming the distance doesn't matter?

Has anyone used a small inline pump to assist in flow? I shall get on the Google and see what I can find.
 
So there's two smaller weirs at each back corner with a single hole. Each only had a single either 25mm or 32mm hole. I would double check but we've just been put back into lock down.

I could maybe look at a syphon style or external overflow box on one end? This would give me a little more head height too.

To compliment flow I also plan to have 3 closed loop Ecotech Vectra M2
If those measurements are accurate, you may only be able to fit 3/4" bulkheads in them. This will really limit the amount of flow you can get down to the sump.
 
If those measurements are accurate, you may only be able to fit 3/4" bulkheads in them. This will really limit the amount of flow you can get down to the sump.
Because of the holes drill too small would yoy recommend reducing the flow rate to match what the weirs can handle or add something like this to one end.

 
Because of the holes drill too small would yoy recommend reducing the flow rate to match what the weirs can handle or add something like this to one end.

I'd probably just reduce the flow to what the wiers can handle.
 
I'd probably just reduce the flow to what the wiers can handle.
For a heavily stocked tank as I would like to one day make it, do you think adding the extra flow would be worth the $700?
 
For a heavily stocked tank as I would like to one day make it, do you think adding the extra flow would be worth the $700?
In my opinion, no. You'll be trying to tune three overflows at the same time, that's an uphill battle.

If you have any pictures of the tank and where you're going to place it, would help in trying to get the most out of what you have.

If you can get 3-5x turnover of tank volume per hour, you'll be just fine. And even 3-5x is just something to shoot for, it's not some number that MUST be achieved.

Set the tank up, get an adjustable DC pump, get the overflows set by adjusting the pump. Then forget about it. Use in tank flow to keep detritus in the water column so it can work it's way to the overflow. And if you are having 3 closed loops you'll have plenty of that.
 
Here's the plan-

Photo 1- is the location in the house the aquarium. Viewing panel will only be the front. False wall will be made with hidden access panels to service etc aquarium.

Photo 2- is the proposed location of my aquarium room. I wanted the room to be directly outside the aquarium but unfortunately I don't think I can pass it with local law and the distance to the neighbours. (The line is the proposed drain and return pipes)

Photo 3- is my sump/filter unit. It's a tmc 5000 marine.

Circulation pumps- The TMC 5000 has an inbuilt av150 (20,000 lph) pump to supply the different stages.

Return pump is a three phase av150 controlled via a pretty basic 1phase to 3 phase vsd. Was hoping to ramp down anyhow to 80% anyhow.

Display tank is planning to have 3 separate closed loop systems powered by Vectra m2 pumps (7,000lph)

Photo 4-5 are the quick renders of the living area and roughly how I would like the finished look to be.

I've already got:

Aquarium and stand 3000x800x800
2x m2 vectra pumps
2x 400w MH lamps (still need the bulbs)
Full GHL set up.
2x GHL mitras 7206 light fixture
6x t5 lamp fixtures
100kg Macro sand
200kg Macro shelf rock
50kg AF rock
100kg+ random rock

Hope that gets you guys a better picture of what I'm trying to achieve. Won't be starting the build for another 6 months so will make a page/YouTube channel closer to the time :)

Screenshot_20210820-001713_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210809-232543_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210816-220428_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210619-193936_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20210619-193943_Messenger.jpg
 
In my opinion, no. You'll be trying to tune three overflows at the same time, that's an uphill battle.

If you have any pictures of the tank and where you're going to place it, would help in trying to get the most out of what you have.

If you can get 3-5x turnover of tank volume per hour, you'll be just fine. And even 3-5x is just something to shoot for, it's not some number that MUST be achieved.

Set the tank up, get an adjustable DC pump, get the overflows set by adjusting the pump. Then forget about it. Use in tank flow to keep detritus in the water column so it can work it's way to the overflow. And if you are having 3 closed loops you'll have plenty of that.
See above post.

I was thinking I could almost remove the old weirs for room to rock scape and silicone glass over the holes. With the amount of rock I'm wanting to add an extra internal brace at the back probably wouldn't go amiss either I'm thinking. 15mm glass

Or I can just ramp it down to match the flow of the weirs. My 3 closed loop circuits will keep things from settling too much.
 
ok, I got you now.

I would still use the existing wiers, but if you want more flow, I would go with that overflow box you had a picture of. You could then use the wiers as closed loops, might be lower flow closed loop, but this way you wouldn't have stagnant water in the wier.
 
See above post.

I was thinking I could almost remove the old weirs for room to rock scape and silicone glass over the holes. With the amount of rock I'm wanting to add an extra internal brace at the back probably wouldn't go amiss either I'm thinking. 15mm glass

Or I can just ramp it down to match the flow of the weirs. My 3 closed loop circuits will keep things from settling too much.
If you want to remove the weirs, that would be a solid option. I would silicone a piece of glass on both the inside and outside of the hole for piece of mind
 
In the US we have SDR21 pvc pipe and fittings. It is thinner and fine for low pressure applications. Also I found by accident you can use larger pipe for your return, inside your internal overflow and reduce it down close to the bulkhead, and you will get more flow through the bulkhead fitting. Use a funnel shaped reducing fitting, not a sleeve reducer. Do not use solid color pvc for dust collection systems, the plastic is treated with a chemical , that will kill your fish. The clear and blue tint clear pvc dust collection pvc is okay!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top