Dwarf lion fish feeding (how many times a week?)

Mine came from here. You have to watch for the one you want to come in stock.
Bluezoo
I have had the fuzzy a year and a half. It was tiny when I got it.
IMG_1694-M.jpg
 
Here's Big Red at 1.5 years, a solid 5". I wrote this up at a year, he was under 2" when I got him.
A year in the life of a Fuzzy | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

20210331_215031.jpg
In your opinion, what is the minimum tank size for a Dwarf Lion Fish? I was only allowed to get one more small tank for our condo and made my new 30 gallon high a planted freshwater tank. Would that suffice?
Also, someone-perhaps you-mentioned that they were sensitive to nitrates. Do you believe this is an issue?
 
I do not do the gorge /fast thing. Putting 10 small feeder shrimp or guppies in almost every day seems to keep them satisfied and filled out without them having long resting periods so they are active every day. If they don't act hungry I don't feed them though and there are days like that.

2021040210572540--2053720371502563498-IMG_3477_HEIC-L.jpg

tang photo bomb
2021040211044804-4527019235370882243-IMG_3478_HEIC-L.jpg

2021040211044804-5024641410054698600-IMG_3479_HEIC-L.jpg

I am surprised that they actually usually hang out together and share the food.
 
I do not do the gorge /fast thing. Putting 10 small feeder shrimp or guppies in almost every day seems to keep them satisfied and filled out without them having long resting periods so they are active every day. If they don't act hungry I don't feed them though and there are days like that.

2021040210572540--2053720371502563498-IMG_3477_HEIC-L.jpg

tang photo bomb
2021040211044804-4527019235370882243-IMG_3478_HEIC-L.jpg

2021040211044804-5024641410054698600-IMG_3479_HEIC-L.jpg

I am surprised that they actually usually hang out together and share the food.

My only concern about too frquent feedings will start to show after a 2-3 years. It may be fine for a year or so but there does seem to be a correlation with fatty liver disease and too frequent feedings in the fast/gorge type of fish like lions, frogfish, eels.
 
In your opinion, what is the minimum tank size for a Dwarf Lion Fish? I was only allowed to get one more small tank for our condo and made my new 30 gallon high a planted freshwater tank. Would that suffice?
Also, someone-perhaps you-mentioned that they were sensitive to nitrates. Do you believe this is an issue?

Imo, a fu manchu can be ok in a 40B, and the others would be best in at least a 55g. Multiples best in at least a 75g.

If you wanted an interesting venomous ambush predator in a 30g, look into the smaller scorps. The yellow spotted is my favorite, the Caribbean is also very cool.
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top