Eheim feeder users: how do you ensure that the food sinks?

Futuretotm

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2016
Messages
595
Reaction score
755
Location
Tampa, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I use the eheim with TDO chromaboost pellets and marione flakes in my eheim.
My issue initially was that the food floats and goes down the overflow.

I now have it dispensing into a Innovative Marine Gourmet Defroster... that way they sink (I think) and the fish get them.


My question: those who use the eheim, how do you ensure your pellets/flakes sink and get eaten?
 
I was running ehiem feeders loaded with PE Mysis pellets on my tanks before my move. I tried to dump the food into high flow areas with lots of surface agitation to help pull the pellets into the water column. While a few pellets might have made it down the overflow the majority got to the fish. The fish learned the timing on the auto feeders and they would be gathered waiting for the food to drop for a feeding frenzy. I like the idea though of using a defroster or any tube that extends into the water slightly to ensure the food sinks before it enter the water column. Placed in front of a powerhead would help evenly distribute the food.
 
I bought the stand/ feeder chute thingy for mine. It allows the flakes to become saturated and sink A bit to be eaten or blow around by the power heads.
This thingy
 
I dispense pellet/flake food into a frozen food feeder by Octo Aquatics. It works great for thawing frozen food as is. When using with dry food, I just flip it upside down, so the slits are under the water and this allows the dry food to sink and come out the slits. My fish are trained to come to it everytime they see me near the tank. LOL

1.jpg
 
I fill mine with the Vitalis marine pellets, and the feeder dumps them directly over the output of my right side gyre. They get blown around the tank and sink pretty quickly, makes the fish have to dart around to get them in the flow.
 
If you have a apex or controller you can always set the power heads to turn off for around 5 mins when the auto feeder feeds. This in conjunction with some type of a feeder chimney/feeder ring, pretty much ensures that the food will get eaten and not just sucked up into the overflow/filter.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top