Eliminate Flatworms (Red Planaria) Without Nuking my Isopods

TankCandy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 17, 2020
Messages
737
Reaction score
1,513
Location
Limerick, PA
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
Hello,

I hate to admit it, but i have flatworms. I think these are Red Planaria.

I have a 75 gallon tank and noticed these last week when i took a pic of a coral for a friend.
1.jpg


My issue is think these are to small to even siphon out and i can easily count them on the front and rear glass there is that few. Is it worth killing my $hundreds of dollars seeding my tank with pods? I have been just smashing them with my finger. I also pump all the water out of my sump and wiped them off the glass everyweek. I think the population has dropped over the last 2 weeks but i do not want to trade or sell any of my frags until i eradicate them.

Is Melvs reef method worth trying? Using (Flatworm eXit). I am ready to do a 25% water change...

Another pic: Its really hard to even photo these guys..
IMG_20200829_164330.jpg


Any help is greatly apprenticed. I do not see any on the corals even my SPS, my tank is currently thriving...

Pic of my tank that i hope does not crash in resulting from Flatworm eXit..
IMG_20200829_170435.jpg

:(
 
Hello,

I hate to admit it, but i have flatworms. I think these are Red Planaria.

I have a 75 gallon tank and noticed these last week when i took a pic of a coral for a friend.
1.jpg


My issue is think these are to small to even siphon out and i can easily count them on the front and rear glass there is that few. Is it worth killing my $hundreds of dollars seeding my tank with pods? I have been just smashing them with my finger. I also pump all the water out of my sump and wiped them off the glass everyweek. I think the population has dropped over the last 2 weeks but i do not want to trade or sell any of my frags until i eradicate them.

Is Melvs reef method worth trying? Using (Flatworm eXit). I am ready to do a 25% water change...

Another pic: Its really hard to even photo these guys..
IMG_20200829_164330.jpg


Any help is greatly apprenticed. I do not see any on the corals even my SPS, my tank is currently thriving...

Pic of my tank that i hope does not crash in resulting from Flatworm eXit..
IMG_20200829_170435.jpg

:(
They are not that big of a deal. If you start to see too many you could get a wrasse to eat them.
 
Last edited:
I put a small 6 Line wrasse in my fuge last week and any time i see it, it seems to be hunting (not sure if its my pods or red worms) and is not interested in any dry food. Think it would be over kill to put another 6 line in my display?
 
These are acoel. Try to siphon as many as you can and repeat next day.
A lunare or melanurus, even a 6 line wrasse should eat these. Look daily for precense of eggs with are really tiny but clustered.
 
These are acoel. Try to siphon as many as you can and repeat next day.
A lunare or melanurus, even a 6 line wrasse should eat these. Look daily for precense of eggs with are really tiny but clustered.
Your right!! thanks for the ID..
I am going to get another wrasse tomorrow and attempt to siphon out what ever i can see as well as any cluster of eggs.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top