Emerald crab eating Xenia coral

moorjames

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2020
Messages
199
Reaction score
204
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AB2D258-7298-4D48-AF3E-D53347562DFD.jpeg
Been munching for a little bit now- not sure if he’s actually eating the heads- but either way- the coral is ticked lol.
 
My emerald crab loves to eat zoas when there isn't enough algae. But they are life savers in a frag tank. I don't like them in my reef tank they are impossible to get out.
 
I don’t think he ate any heads- but I can’t tell cause they are all closed up for night and he was all up in them lol. But this dude does work hard. He cleaned the biocube up pretty well. He’s earned his keep
 
Not surprised !1 I trust a politician more than I trust them. No longer welcomed in any of my tanks
 
I put 3 in my coral quarantine tank for bubble algae. With plenty of algae to eat the biggest one was up on a frag rack ripping up a acan. Glad I didn’t put any in my main tank. I’d never be able to get one out. I had planned on it after 77 days in quarantine.
 
I just put a brand new emerald crab in my tank and she wasn’t there for 5 minutes before she started eating my Xenia. Never had this happen with my other emeralds. :(
 
6AB2D258-7298-4D48-AF3E-D53347562DFD.jpeg
Been munching for a little bit now- not sure if he’s actually eating the heads- but either way- the coral is ticked lol.
Bring him to me i want him to get rid of my xenias lol
 
I just put a brand new emerald crab in my tank and she wasn’t there for 5 minutes before she started eating my Xenia. Never had this happen with my other emeralds. :(
She’s in time out now & going back tomorrow. Just picked a chunk off my fox coral too. :mad:
 

Attachments

  • 3451F813-8936-4A85-AB21-BE9DD0BCC264.jpeg
    3451F813-8936-4A85-AB21-BE9DD0BCC264.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 56
I had one that was not raised with manners, would always pinch before he’d look. Never ate corals but would squish the #&@% out of them. Traded it for another and now have a model citizen.
 
Its funny these ended up being sold at every LFS as algae eaters but when you read about the species in the wild a fair part of its diet is coral and misc inverts. I was pretty angry when I found that out the hard way.
 
Pretty sure mine was eating my turbinaria. Fortunately he doesn’t seem to have liked it much as it hasn’t been a major problem.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top