Emergency- new Wrasse listing on bottom with reddish area.

Ziggy17

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 5, 2023
Messages
599
Reaction score
499
Location
West Kelowna
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ fishmedics

Just purchased this canary wrasse a few days ago. Thursday to be exact. Was in copper at the store for 30 days prior to being shipped. Did not QT the fish. Has been eating brine and mysies shrimp since he went in. It was out swimming all morning, then I noticed it on the bottom listing. Breathing very fast. Like to breaths per second. Gets up and swims, then back on the sand bed. I noticed a reddish mark on his body about half way down on one side. I took a video and removed it to take pics. I have not seen any aggression.

Water
Ph 8.3
Dkh 8.3
NO3 6.7
PO4 .13
Salinity 35
Temp 77
Calc 367
Mag 1398
ORP 301

CB685C6B-4435-4DB3-B4C1-8F9C56752011.jpeg 9A6E94E6-1447-413A-A521-09F2A3AC9B44.jpeg 48B1A5F6-390B-4DBF-91A0-A65C37C7B3A3.jpeg
 
Do you happen to know the level of copper used? Many fish stores use copper but not at the necessary levels. Just enough to keep fish alive and pass them on.
 
@ fishmedics

Just purchased this canary wrasse a few days ago. Thursday to be exact. Was in copper at the store for 30 days prior to being shipped. Did not QT the fish. Has been eating brine and mysies shrimp since he went in. It was out swimming all morning, then I noticed it on the bottom listing. Breathing very fast. Like to breaths per second. Gets up and swims, then back on the sand bed. I noticed a reddish mark on his body about half way down on one side. I took a video and removed it to take pics. I have not seen any aggression.

Water
Ph 8.3
Dkh 8.3
NO3 6.7
PO4 .13
Salinity 35
Temp 77
Calc 367
Mag 1398
ORP 301

CB685C6B-4435-4DB3-B4C1-8F9C56752011.jpeg 9A6E94E6-1447-413A-A521-09F2A3AC9B44.jpeg 48B1A5F6-390B-4DBF-91A0-A65C37C7B3A3.jpeg

Although the lesion hasn't ruptured the skin (yet) - given the species and how new it is to your tank, I can't rule out Uronema. Internal Uronema isn't treatable though, sorry!

 
@ fishmedics

Just purchased this canary wrasse a few days ago. Thursday to be exact. Was in copper at the store for 30 days prior to being shipped. Did not QT the fish. Has been eating brine and mysies shrimp since he went in. It was out swimming all morning, then I noticed it on the bottom listing. Breathing very fast. Like to breaths per second. Gets up and swims, then back on the sand bed. I noticed a reddish mark on his body about half way down on one side. I took a video and removed it to take pics. I have not seen any aggression.

Water
Ph 8.3
Dkh 8.3
NO3 6.7
PO4 .13
Salinity 35
Temp 77
Calc 367
Mag 1398
ORP 301

CB685C6B-4435-4DB3-B4C1-8F9C56752011.jpeg 9A6E94E6-1447-413A-A521-09F2A3AC9B44.jpeg 48B1A5F6-390B-4DBF-91A0-A65C37C7B3A3.jpeg
There is a dark spot on belly and fish is somewhat thin and may suggest either starvation or internal issue. If not swimming around or tying to, fish may be becoming moribund in which it will continue to decline. If fish is in a quarantine setting, try treating with seachem Kanaplex which fish will absorb and may or may not help this fish along with added aeration via Air stone and I highly doubt uronema which is oval and ciliated and is no where near surface
 
Although the lesion hasn't ruptured the skin (yet) - given the species and how new it is to your tank, I can't rule out Uronema. Internal Uronema isn't treatable though, sorry!

Thanks for the read Jay. Is it contagious? Should I be worrying about an outbreak?
 
Thanks for the read Jay. Is it contagious? Should I be worrying about an outbreak?

Internal Uronema does NOT seem to be contagious to existing fish, but susceptible fish purchased at the same time may develop it (like people buying a school of green chromis and having a percentage of them develop this).
 
Internal Uronema does NOT seem to be contagious to existing fish, but susceptible fish purchased at the same time may develop it (like people buying a school of green chromis and having a percentage of them develop this).
Copy. Yeah, this was a solo purchase. Super bummed. I didn’t realize this species was prone. Euthanize or put him back in and let him buck until it dies?
 
The angles of the video aren't good, but it does look like uronema. The YT seems to have HLLE.
Yeah, the YT was a rescue from almost a year ago. He was in brutal shape when I got him. Pitch white, no fins, literally a worst case scenario. I actually posted about him a few months back and you advised that his fins were never coming back.

Don’t mind the brown diatoms on the sand bed. Just finishing up my bout with LCA using silicate. Last couple weeks of the protocol :)
 
Well, thanks for all the help guys. Just wondering if I should just put it back in until it dies or kill it quickly.
 
I think this is uronema, unfortunately. One question to ask the store doing the QT - is which product they used, and which level they kept the copper at - if they can't assure that they have followed an adequate protocol, its often necessary to do it again. However, as already mentioned, copper is not effective for uronema
 
Well, thanks for all the help guys. Just wondering if I should just put it back in until it dies or kill it quickly.
I would let it be. However, as you've noticed, it does not look like it will turn around.
 
I think this is uronema, unfortunately. One question to ask the store doing the QT - is which product they used, and which level they kept the copper at - if they can't assure that they have followed an adequate protocol, its often necessary to do it again. However, as already mentioned, copper is not effective for uronema
I actually did ask prior. They use copper power full time in their tanks at 2.5. They do a fresh water dip on arrival, then 30 days in the tanks with no new fish added, then sale. They only use prazi if they see a need, not by default
 
Well, thanks for all the help guys. Just wondering if I should just put it back in until it dies or kill it quickly.
Tough call…..when to kill….
I would think that’s different for everyone.
Personal call, but I support whatever decision you make.
 
The only thing to try IMO - would be what Vetteguy suggested - an antibiotic hospital tank (with let's say kanamycin). I'm sorry that I was negative on the outcome - it's just that once a fish gets to that state - it's hard to cure no matter what. To me - uronema remains the most likely. I may also ask your LFS where you bought the fish and QT'd it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top