Eshopps x120 salt creep in venturi.

Scorchx1245

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
285
Reaction score
101
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air intake in my venturi keeps clogging up with salt creep. Every month I pull it off clean it and re-install. Is this normal? I feel like it isnt, almost though about running the line outside the sump cabinet.
 
I used to get that with my aquamaxx hob1. I don't have that issue with my reef octopus sro2000. I think it probably depends on the air draw and the diameter of the air intake.
 
Quite common. Running the line outside the cabinet won't help. The best way is to run the hose into the collection cup. Humid air reduces the buildup.
 
Whenever I get salt creep on any equipment in my sump I use a spray bottle filled with rodi water, usually it just dissolves the salt and I don't even need to take anything apart or wipe it down
 
I wish I could remember who to credit but a while back on here someone recommended heating rodi in the microwave and doing a couple syringe squirts down the air tube, clears everything up right away
 
I take mine off and soak in my sink for a little bit, than blow out the water with an air pump.
 
I wish I could remember who to credit but a while back on here someone recommended heating rodi in the microwave and doing a couple syringe squirts down the air tube, clears everything up right away
I usually do a coffee cup full of really hot rodi once a month down the air tube to help clean out the pump
 
It happens with all venturi skimmers, some just do it more than others..

It isn't just salt creep, it can be calcium build up too and will occasionally need to be soaked in vinegar.

Running a little warm ro/di water through it will help temporarily.
 
I like to minimize how often I take mine apart, a little bit for convenience but also because I know that eventually one of the plastic parts will break. The less I take it apart the longer it should last
 
I like to minimize how often I take mine apart, a little bit for convenience but also because I know that eventually one of the plastic parts will break. The less I take it apart the longer it should last


Most skimmers are designed so you can remove the venturi without disassembling the skimmer.
All of mine you just remove air tube and twist them off.
 
Most skimmers are designed so you can remove the venturi without disassembling the skimmer.
All of mine you just remove air tube and twist them off.
Mine comes apart like that too, I mainly do the hot water to reduce how often I need to take the entire pump apart and clean it. I know the post was about salt creep in the venturi but, since someone brought up using hot rodi, I was just mentioning the additional benefit that it helps to clean the pump
 
Mine comes apart like that too, I mainly do the hot water to reduce how often I need to take the entire pump apart and clean it. I know the post was about salt creep in the venturi but, since someone brought up using hot rodi, I was just mentioning the additional benefit that it helps to clean the pump

We must have got our wires crossed somehow.. lol..

Anyway The venturi will get calcium in it too and needs a soak in vinegar or some other acid.
hot water works for salt creep but not calcium.
I actually have a brush for mine or a pipe cleaner helps..

Some I have to clean monthly and others can go a months.

I understand the feeling of breaking something.
My more expensive skimmers come apart easy and are better built and I do not have to worry about it.
My Aquamaxx skimmer I worry about all the time. Does a good job skimming but it has broke several times before.
 
We must have got our wires crossed somehow.. lol..

Anyway The venturi will get calcium in it too and needs a soak in vinegar or some other acid.
hot water works for salt creep but not calcium.
I actually have a brush for mine or a pipe cleaner helps..

Some I have to clean monthly and others can go a months.

I understand the feeling of breaking something.
My more expensive skimmers come apart easy and are better built and I do not have to worry about it.
My Aquamaxx skimmer I worry about all the time. Does a good job skimming but it has broke several times before.
It took me a couple posts to realize we weren't talking about the same thing lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top