Exact photo period for reef tank

paul. i bust on you because you dont share what we all care about in this hobby.
supermodels.

Russ you can bust all you want. If you have any more lousy pictures of my tank, you can also post them.
Here is one when it was covered in hair algae. I wonder what my photoperiod was then. :eek:

 
Paul B is the last person in this hobby I would ever speak negative about. I don't think he has anything to prove to anyone in this hobby
 
I run my LED for 12 hrs with a peak time of three. I have supplemental T5 that run three hrs during my peak time. I do a sunrise and sunset of 30 min each. Been doing this schedule for decades with MH and now LED with no issue.
 
Paul B is the last person in this hobby I would ever speak negative about. I don't think he has anything to prove to anyone in this hobby

I will prove that I can grow hair some day. :cool:
 
so to clarify some things.

i speak of peak lighting. you can do any combination you want but there are still halide players who do the typical 8 hours.

here is an example of adam's setup at battle corals.

Screenshot2014-09-10072702_zps98ca928d.png


this is with radions.
obviously if you put out half the par of radions, you will expect less than stellar results.

here are mine with evergrow leds.

image.png


you can say i keep my lights on from 6am til 10pm. that is 16 hours.

however.....

peak lighting is 11:30 to 19:30 (including ramp up and ramp down) 8 hours. 6 of those hours are what i consider "peak" lighting.

if you have halides and want an instant-on time, 8 hours would be fine.

my par is 1200 1' below the surface, and i know radions pro gen3s are barely 1000 par if you had all channels 100%.

in conclusion. if your par rating is 300 or greater during peak, give them 6-8 hours peak lighting as long as ramping isnt too obnoxious.

if you have 12-18 hours and a slower ramp period, peak hours can be reduced or increased. because you are asking this question, id hate for you turn on some retina seering lights for 12-18 hours, and say its all fine and dandy.

you read between the lines, but i think you have a few options to choose from.
 
Im increasing 30mints everyday from today, till 8hrs of lighting.
 
I have ap700 and I can't seem to get it right my schedule is 11hours total only 3hours peak par ranges from around 125 right under lamps at the bottom to about 25 in corners and I have goniapora right under the lamp on the bottom no problem you put anything else around that area and kiss it goodbye. the weird part is most of the time there are no signs of bleaching it just starts to retract I move it and it slowly dies from there never any signs of bleaching.
 
I like to think of my reef tank as being on the sunset side of a shelf. So the sunrise illuminates the "sky" casting even gentle shades of mostly blue and little whites for a long period of the morning, until about mid day where the sunlight slowly creeps over the edge of the shelf and reaches a peak and stays there until a faster ramp down in the afternoon as the sun sets.

I do this mostly so that I can view the tank breifly before work a couple of times, and feed the fish for the first time of the day. Then the peak lasts 4 hours or so, then ramps down.
6am slow ramp up until around noon, noon to 5pm peak with extra whites, then 5pm to 8pm ramp down. Then fuge light comes on an hour before lights out. And stays on throughout the morning ramp up.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top