Experience taking delivery of LARGE aquarium?

punchy7080

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 17, 2021
Messages
371
Reaction score
166
Location
Zionsville, IN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So "any day now" my new tank should be shipping to a local FedEx Freight terminal. That's where the fun begins... I'm getting anxious about how I'm going to get this eight foot, ~650 pound piece of glass from FedEx to my stand that is anxiously awaiting in my basement. My initial plan was to borrow a van/truck to pickup, rent some of the glass suction cups and get 6-8 friends to help. What makes me nervous is the timing... exactly when will the tank arrive and how long will I then have to go get it from FedEx? Can I get the truck, suction cups and friends all aligned with my schedule to unload the tank and get it in my house?? I just tried a moving company that provides labor, hauls away junk, etc. but they "don't provide this service". What have all of you done when you've gotten really large tanks that had to be picked up and then moved into your house? Suggestions?

Thanks!
 
If it's coming freight, see if they can load it for you still on the pallets.

That will buy you time to organize the friends while the tank is in the driveway. Harbor freight has the glass suction cups and I'd pick up a few moving blankets as well.

Don't underestimate how many people you'll need to get it down a set of stairs.

4 is too few.
 
If it's coming freight, see if they can load it for you still on the pallets.

That will buy you time to organize the friends while the tank is in the driveway. Harbor freight has the glass suction cups and I'd pick up a few moving blankets as well.

Don't underestimate how many people you'll need to get it down a set of stairs.

4 is too few.
I'm having to pick it up from the freight terminal. Harbor Freight might be helpful, thanks! Good news is I have a walkout basement so only a couple steps down to the patio area. Planning on 8 cups and 8 friends :)
 
I’m hiring a moving company. I’ve given them a heads up and they’ve agreed to do the work. I’ll likely buy the suction cups even though they’ve said not to as they have a hydraulic lift.
 
I vote moving company, if they break it, atleats you have someone to blame and possibly sue.
 
I vote moving company, if they break it, atleats you have someone to blame and possibly sue.
I'm kinda with ya... getting all this lined up is making me very anxious. I'd rather spend a few bucks and have someone else just do it. Any recommendations for moving companies that people have worked with? Rough estimate of cost? I guess I don't want to spend another grand getting it the last 10 feet either :)
 
I'm kinda with ya... getting all this lined up is making me very anxious. I'd rather spend a few bucks and have someone else just do it. Any recommendations for moving companies that people have worked with? Rough estimate of cost? I guess I don't want to spend another grand getting it the last 10 feet either :)
I'm afraid I cant give any reccomendations as I'm in Ireland. Estamate of cost, same story, although I can give you what I paid to move a tank I bought about 10km.
 
I recently moved a 7 foot tank and hired a moving company. I highly recommend hiring professionals. You have probably invested a lot into this project and having liable professionals do the work is worth it in my opinion. As above post, at least then if something goes wrong you and your friends are not ones liable. Additionally these tanks are heavy and there is real risk of injury. I also asked several moving companies who did not want to take on a move like this. Ultimately the movers that agreed were piano movers.
 
After waiting 6 months for mine and considering what was invested in time and money I decided it was worth the money to hire movers. Was able to find movers the same day. Were done in about 20 minutes.
 
I hired one of the LFS that does installation, maintenance and delivery. After the amount we spend on these tanks it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.
 
I got 6-8 of my family members. I rented a enclosed uhaul picked it up. When I got home my family helped carry prob 75 yards through the front door and sat it on stand that was in place already. Mine was a 8ft by 30” wide all glass. So very heavy and we didn’t have any issues.
 
So, my story: Tank delivered to my shed November 2019. Had coworker’s son and son’s friend lined up (football player types) to move it inside for the third weekend in March 2020. Yup, COVID lockdown started the week before it was to be moved. I finally got two of my brother-in-laws to carry it in August 2021. Sometimes, it just goes slow.
 
@OP: depending on situation, you can always make arrangements once it’s home. Don’t stress getting reverything to align.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top