FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

FarmerTy Eternal Flame

044dde17e7699b931eccc2179af62f1e.jpg


OG Purple Monster

58d3750d4006a613d93fa5728c22b12f.jpg


Oregon Tort

d9c6b0f62aba82fb57662ff2c3ea0468.jpg


RCA Baton Rouge

600fe7851e3a0dc644e94991c6daf669.jpg


Palmers Blue Mille

09fd25f5230d0016bde4e12ee476707f.jpg
 
Amazing corals... what is you illumination? T5 alone or t5+leds?
Thank you! I was LED with T5 supplements but switched to an 8 bulb ATI fixture now and no LEDs. Blue+, coral+, actinic, coral+, purple+, actinic, coral+, blue+. Corals are coloring back up nicely after the lighting change.
 
Thank you! I was LED with T5 supplements but switched to an 8 bulb ATI fixture now and no LEDs. Blue+, coral+, actinic, coral+, purple+, actinic, coral+, blue+. Corals are coloring back up nicely after the lighting change.

But Whit 2 Actinic bubls, par level is not too low? What is in your opinion the best light for sps corals? What is reef's dimension? Do you use some additives?
 
But Whit 2 Actinic bubls, par level is not too low? What is in your opinion the best light for sps corals? What is reef's dimension? Do you use some additives?
I measured par levels two days ago and they were not bad at all. I'll post when I get a chance but 450 up top, 300 in the middle of the tank, and 200 on the sandbed. No additives currently other than fish poop.
 
But Whit 2 Actinic bubls, par level is not too low? What is in your opinion the best light for sps corals? What is reef's dimension? Do you use some additives?
I measured par levels two days ago and they were not bad at all. I'll post when I get a chance but 450 up top, 300 in the middle of the tank, and 200 on the sandbed. No additives currently other than fish poop.

72" x 24" x 29"
 
How high is the fixture from the water?
9-10" off the water surface on a 29" deep tank. Par levels were pretty well spread in the tank, pretty homogenous and no hot spots like LED.
 
I measured par levels two days ago and they were not bad at all. I'll post when I get a chance but 450 up top, 300 in the middle of the tank, and 200 on the sandbed. No additives currently other than fish poop.

72" x 24" x 29"

T5 bulbs are 80watt? Your system is DSB? You use refugium, active Carbon or zeolite?
 
80 watts, no DSB, no refugium, no zeolite, no water changes.
 
Why do you believe you don't have an algae issue when you don't have an export method besides a skimmer? You don't even have fish currently to keep the algae at bay.
 
Why do you believe you don't have an algae issue when you don't have an export method besides a skimmer? You don't even have fish currently to keep the algae at bay.
The fish have only really been gone for 5 weeks, so not too much time for algae to start growing. I actually try to encourage a little algae to grow for my tangs and angels to graze.

My export mechanisms include a skimmer rated for double capacity of tank volume, GFO, activated carbon, and biopellets.

I also keep about 5 tuxedo urchins who make short work of any algae usually.
 
The fish have only really been gone for 5 weeks, so not too much time for algae to start growing. I actually try to encourage a little algae to grow for my tangs and angels to graze.

My export mechanisms include a skimmer rated for double capacity of tank volume, GFO, activated carbon, and biopellets.

I also keep about 5 tuxedo urchins who make short work of any algae usually.

You use biopellets to mantain nitrate Low? What are your water parameters?
 
Had a catch up, congrats on the baby and the move.
I also don't do water changes but I have a display refugium and a refugium in the sump.
Your sps always inspire me, maybe one day mine will look as good. :)
 
You use biopellets to mantain nitrate Low? What are your water parameters?
Yes, biopellets for nitrates, GFO for phosphates.

Standard parameters mostly:

Ca - 425 ppm
Alk - 7.0-7.5 dKh
Mg - 1380 ppm
NO3 - 5-10 ppm
PO4 - <0.03 ppm
Temp - 81 degrees Fahrenheit
Had a catch up, congrats on the baby and the move.
I also don't do water changes but I have a display refugium and a refugium in the sump.
Your sps always inspire me, maybe one day mine will look as good. :)
Thanks for following along and I appreciate the compliment! I don't think I'm doing anything special honestly, most of these corals will look good in any tank. [emoji4]

I'm just ready to put the aquascape together finally after 4 months of not being able to touch it yet. If my kid wasn't so dang cute, I'd be a little more upset by that. [emoji23]
 
Yes, biopellets for nitrates, GFO for phosphates.

Standard parameters mostly:

Ca - 425 ppm
Alk - 7.0-7.5 dKh
Mg - 1380 ppm
NO3 - 5-10 ppm
PO4 - <0.03 ppm
Temp - 81 degrees Fahrenheit
Thanks for following along and I appreciate the compliment! I don't think I'm doing anything special honestly, most of these corals will look good in any tank. [emoji4]

I'm just ready to put the aquascape together finally after 4 months of not being able to touch it yet. If my kid wasn't so dang cute, I'd be a little more upset by that. [emoji23]

How high is the sand layer? How do you keep it clean?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top