FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Finally caught one in action dropping some eggs! Bring on the torch babies!
D63852B6-465A-4B51-A667-EBB16681EB56summer2024-14-4.jpeg
8F26B15F-AA1A-4C22-B9F9-8FD48F89A9ADsummer2024-2-5.jpeg
Now that’s cool!!!
 
Beautiful piece and beautiful photography. Very cool to see and interested on how many of those develop into mini colonies
 
Finally caught one in action dropping some eggs! Bring on the torch babies!
D63852B6-465A-4B51-A667-EBB16681EB56summer2024-14-4.jpeg
8F26B15F-AA1A-4C22-B9F9-8FD48F89A9ADsummer2024-2-5.jpeg
congrats. Very cool pic. I can grow SPS with no problems. Torches, I've never had much luck with them. You have done something right my friend.
 
@FarmerTy
How bid is the mother colony? about how many heads?
Very nice.
Mother colony about 15 heads roughly Orion! I had a full tank of torches last year spawn and produced about 100+ heads. I’m currently doing an article on it and should be published in Reef Keeping magazine hopefully Fall issue. This spawn I caught was just a one-off.
Beautiful piece and beautiful photography. Very cool to see and interested on how many of those develop into mini colonies
Thank you bud! I already have a ton of mini colonies from the spawn last Spring.
That’s cool and all
But where are the acro pics?????
Haha, I’ve been distracted a bit with other stuff and moving my acros around to another system. I’m redoing my main system and will hopefully be able to move them all in there. The pics will resume then hopefully.
congrats. Very cool pic. I can grow SPS with no problems. Torches, I've never had much luck with them. You have done something right my friend.
That’s so funny. I couldn’t grow chalices for nothing for awhile too. Reef tanks are so weird.
 
This is awesome. Are you doing anything to trigger the spawn? Light cycle or water temperature?
 
I haven’t caught the spawn in action but they release egg and sperm like acropora.
Actually, looks like they are brooders! The sperm is released and the eggs are fertilized within the coral itself. Then the torch will release fertilized larvae and they will settle.
This is awesome. Are you doing anything to trigger the spawn? Light cycle or water temperature?
I have increased the temperature during the summer and decreased it during the winter. I think the plan soon is to program my temperature changes/light cycle duration using the same process at Jamie Craggs of the Horniman Museum in London.
Do you sell any of them?
We intend to release some this Fall once I finish my documentation of the varieties spawned compared to the original mother colonies in the system. It'll be fun to showcase all the different variants that spawned from the same 8-10 varieties we had in the system prior to the spawn.
 
Actually, looks like they are brooders! The sperm is released and the eggs are fertilized within the coral itself. Then the torch will release fertilized larvae and they will settle.

I have increased the temperature during the summer and decreased it during the winter. I think the plan soon is to program my temperature changes/light cycle duration using the same process at Jamie Craggs of the Horniman Museum in London.

We intend to release some this Fall once I finish my documentation of the varieties spawned compared to the original mother colonies in the system. It'll be fun to showcase all the different variants that spawned from the same 8-10 varieties we had in the system prior to the spawn.
Interesting the "offspring" look different than the parent colonies? I guess I need to go back and reread the thread.
 
Actually, looks like they are brooders! The sperm is released and the eggs are fertilized within the coral itself. Then the torch will release fertilized larvae and they will settle.

I have increased the temperature during the summer and decreased it during the winter. I think the plan soon is to program my temperature changes/light cycle duration using the same process at Jamie Craggs of the Horniman Museum in London.

We intend to release some this Fall once I finish my documentation of the varieties spawned compared to the original mother colonies in the system. It'll be fun to showcase all the different variants that spawned from the same 8-10 varieties we had in the system prior to the spawn.
Well add me to the list!!
 
I just read through some of the beginning pages of this thread and wow what a beautiful tank.

I was curious if you still had your ORA chips Acropora or the Ice fire echinata?

Also does this tenuis in the picture have a name?
IMG_3518.png
 
Interesting the "offspring" look different than the parent colonies? I guess I need to go back and reread the thread.
Don’t go too far back! You’ll get lost in the 400+ pages. Hopefully my interview with Reef Keeping Magazine will be out this Fall!
I am holding my breath waiting for your write up (and PICTURES). Please hurry becasue I am about to be asphyxiated.
:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I just finished the draft with them so hopefully it’ll be out soon!
Well add me to the list!!
You got it! I’ll be fragging some of them hopefully next month in anticipation of releasing them on our website after I finish with the observations of mother colonies compared to spawned babies.
I just read through some of the beginning pages of this thread and wow what a beautiful tank.

I was curious if you still had your ORA chips Acropora or the Ice fire echinata?

Also does this tenuis in the picture have a name?
IMG_3518.png
That was many many years ago sadly. I moved along the ORA Chips and the Ice Fire did decent in my system but just didn't make it in the long run.

The Tenuis was actually just a no-name tenuis. One of the LFS in town used to import tons of mariculture colonies and it was just one that I grabbed that turned out real nice. I no longer have it either.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top