FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

I think I finally did it! I think I found the perfect T5 bulb combo over my tank when matched with two SBREEF actinic bars. The look I was going for was nice white with a hint of blue from the T5s (12k to 14k) and the pop of LEDs. Adding the GE 6500k bulb really helped balance out all the blue actinic pop I was getting from the two SBREEF actinic bars and preserve some of the warmer tones that get lost in a lot of reef tanks.

That way I can still enjoy more natural looking colors during daylight with the extra pop from LEDs. During dusk/dawn, I can appreciate all those blue light specials like all the rainbow tenuis that seem to be all the rage these days but look pretty ordinary under normal lighting.

Here's the bulb combo:
SBREEF actinic bar
-B+
-C+
-P+
-Actinic
-GE 6500k
-B+
-C+
-B+
SBREEF actinic bar

3db47650312f34f7960988acf9aa52bf.jpg
52e748e4ef35b8dc8da79acff507c908.jpg
 
I've been wanting to add a warmer light to my combo also. I've been looking at the 6500k but was worried it would be to yellow. Have you ever used the aqua blue special?
 
I've been wanting to add a warmer light to my combo also. I've been looking at the 6500k but was worried it would be to yellow. Have you ever used the aqua blue special?
I actually replaced the ABS with the 6500k. I really liked the switch. I was afraid it would look like a 90s tank, super gross yellow but it perfectly complimented the other bulbs and actinic bars. All I really see is a crisper white and got back a lot of my warmer tones and better reflective coloration from acros while not squashing out the fluorescent colors.
 
Nice mix, swap out a B+ for a P+ and mine is similar, my leds run a 12 our program so the light constantly changes, love my colours during the day when the T5s are on. :)
Its a stunning combo for sure! I may swap to your combo just to see how it looks! I'm always curious of what others run!

Yes, colors during the day are just dreamy! Its hard not to stare at the tank when I walk by these days!
 
What a great build, just finished reading all 61 pages. You have an amazing system.
Wow! Thanks Matt for reading along! I can't believe it's at 61 pages already. I'm sure it jumped 20 pages when I got my DSLR and macro lens 2 months ago and started dumping pictures everywhere!
 
The "factory", my grow out rack for frags I've acquired, and the other rack is starting to fill up with frags from some of my colonies! Having a frag tank is just good fun!
IMG_20180418_163738.jpg
IMG_20180418_175601.jpg
 
Alright, had some fun with the actinic shots and gel filters the last couple of weeks. Back to the good ol' white lights and what I like to refer to as WYSIRL (What you see in real life) pics... Well... If your eyes could see at the macro level at least. [emoji16]

IMG_20180418_200020.jpg
IMG_20180418_200118.jpg
IMG_20180418_200203.jpg
IMG_20180418_163855.jpg
IMG_20180418_163938.jpg
IMG_20180418_164018.jpg
IMG_20180406_000212.jpg
IMG_20180418_180345.jpg
IMG_20180418_180416.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top