FarmerTy's 215-gallon SPS Tank

Yes sir. Usually just a mix of pellets and my own frozen I make. Various fish I get from Whole Foods, clams, oysters, shrimp, squid, and octopus combined with fish eggs I buy from the Asian market and rinse. I throw in mysis and Angel food mix and call it a day.
By any chance you can post a pic of the brand for fish eggs you use? I make the same mix with the exception of the fish eggs since I wasn’t sure which I could get.
 
By any chance you can post a pic of the brand for fish eggs you use? I make the same mix with the exception of the fish eggs since I wasn’t sure which I could get.
I made enough to last me a year so haven’t bought those eggs in awhile. They were just the sushi style eggs and I just rinsed the heck out of them to remove the sugars and dyes.
 
Welp, nothing too much going on. Fragging and moving things has been the focus lately so most of my energy has gone into that and maintenance.

It was nice to finally see my ugly brown spathulata I picked up a year or so ago starting to show me some nice colors. Named it the FarmerTy Wrath of Spath! :p
E530119D-7F0F-41B3-AF5E-01C0275FC6EB.jpeg

80ADFB4A-BF97-4957-A3D6-55C37F54234C.jpeg
 
If you have ever had to do a larger tank move of acros to a new system like I am planning, I would happily receive some tips from you on that process. I will be moving to a temp stock tank and then (hopefully very shortly thereafter) to a 10 foot raceway frag.

By the time it comes around, I should be good on mechanicals (light/flow/filtration) but any pointers on chemistry or other would be helpful.

And yeah, that spath is very purty.
 
one of the nicest imperator angelfish Ive seen. He nip at any of the ups or softies
He’s been moved along a couple years ago. Like my imperator before him, once they went full adult, liked to chew chunks of acro tips right off the colony.
 
If you have ever had to do a larger tank move of acros to a new system like I am planning, I would happily receive some tips from you on that process. I will be moving to a temp stock tank and then (hopefully very shortly thereafter) to a 10 foot raceway frag.

By the time it comes around, I should be good on mechanicals (light/flow/filtration) but any pointers on chemistry or other would be helpful.

And yeah, that spath is very purty.
I can’t say I know more than anybody else in the subject. All I can say is most moves end in some deaths. Not always right away but down the line for sure.

So if you can avoid the temp move to the stock tank, I would.
 
I’ve been eyeballing a blueline angel. I think it’d be a great addition to the tank. Thoughts?
95BDBC16-220E-436C-9C75-859E65C05705.jpeg


Also, I still have acros in the tank. Proof of life pic.

TSA Purple Haze
90D3ACA6-8099-4DFE-B2B1-C8F467D46657.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • AA70B0FE-9199-493C-8E32-AB0F8013B4A2.jpeg
    AA70B0FE-9199-493C-8E32-AB0F8013B4A2.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 41
If you get a captive bred little guy you will probably have a better chance of it not having the taste for your Acros. May get bullied by your large and established angels though.
 
The more different species of angels you try in your reef, the more we learn which ones might work with certain corals. So I'm all for you trying each one you like, one by one. We can all learn from you which ones might work and which ones to just straight out avoid.

To me, your experimentation with which angels can work in a reef tank, with sticking to your selection of corals, is really important progress for the hobby.
 
If you get a captive bred little guy you will probably have a better chance of it not having the taste for your Acros. May get bullied by your large and established angels though.
I was leaning towards finding a captive bred one. I think it’ll be fine and won’t get bullied. There’s just too many fish to focus on just one in that system.
 
I 100% support testing out how reef safe angels are in Ty's tank. If the fish goes rogue and starts eating his coral it could probably eat my salary's worth of Acros in a night.
Chicken Lol GIF by Endemol Beyond
Last angelfish that went rogue ate about 3-5 tips off my Jawdropper colony. So at market rates, probably sunk anywhere from $2700-$4500 worth of corals. :confused:
 
The more different species of angels you try in your reef, the more we learn which ones might work with certain corals. So I'm all for you trying each one you like, one by one. We can all learn from you which ones might work and which ones to just straight out avoid.

To me, your experimentation with which angels can work in a reef tank, with sticking to your selection of corals, is really important progress for the hobby.
Thanks bud. Straight up avoid emperors with corals. They aren’t safe as they turn into larger adults.

My scribbled angel was decent with most corals but was just a big too aggressive during feedings.
 
Thanks bud. Straight up avoid emperors with corals. They aren’t safe as they turn into larger adults.

My scribbled angel was decent with most corals but was just a big too aggressive during feedings.
Does the conspicuous still stands? I mean you just have to give up a few frags :p
 
Does the conspicuous still stands? I mean you just have to give up a few frags :p
I’m still trying to make ridiculously wealthy reef friends who may accidentally drop a conspicuous out of their pockets for me to pick up and put in my tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top